G5 1.8 Versus 2.0

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone!

I need a little advice in terms of the dual 1.8 versus 2.0. I'm in the market to purchase the awesome G5 and having trouble deciding which. I've read in Barefeats about the performance, and it doesn't look as if there is much of a performance issue between the two. So that leads me to ask if I save the extra $400 bucks and buy the 1.8 with the extra goodies like the 9800XT card, do you all think that's worth it or should I just go with the Dual 2Ghz with the 9600XT? I know where I can get an "old" model of the dual 1.8 for $2150, which of course complicates the matter even more as it is almost identical to the new 2Ghz, minus the extra power. My other question involves the 2.5, as I had a concern about the cooling system not being as easy to repair if it goes out as a simple fan in the 2.0 and 1.8. Sorry for all the questions, but it's a big purchase. I am going to get the 20" Cinema display to round it off though...YEAH!!

By the way, the Mac is going to be used in my business as mostly a Graphic Design Machine, but I would also like to use it for CADD as well. I have a pretty fast PC that I'll use to play games with and other menial crap at home.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    i would get the 1.8 with the better graphics card and crank up the ram.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Same here, upgraded Dual 1.8 would be my suggestion. If you're going to spend $350 on the 9800XT upgrade, might as well spend the extra $50 and get the 6800GT.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Same here, upgraded Dual 1.8 would be my suggestion. If you're going to spend $350 on the 9800XT upgrade, might as well spend the extra $50 and get the 6800GT.

Thanks for your response guys. How bout the old versus new dual 1.8's? Any suggestions? The old is $2150 and the new is $1799 with Apple student discount. These prices are of course without adding anything as of yet. The Apple website charges tax, which is a real bummer so I'm looking at other websites.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by cmvsm

Thanks for your response guys. How bout the old versus new dual 1.8's? Any suggestions? The old is $2150 and the new is $1799 with Apple student discount. These prices are of course without adding anything as of yet. The Apple website charges tax, which is a real bummer so I'm looking at other websites.

If you could get an old 1.8 and a 6800GT on the side, that'd be your best bet.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I think the 6800GT is the best overall value but beware that it has dual DVI ports (i.e. no ADC) and still takes 2 slots.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    If you are going to use the computer for your business I would buy the fastest computer you can afford. You can always upgrade the RAM and graphics card later on. Time is money.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Londor

If you are going to use the computer for your business I would buy the fastest computer you can afford. You can always upgrade the RAM and graphics card later on. Time is money.

This is the best reply i have seen and everything he says is true. go for the most muscle there will allways be newer better video cards and there isnt 1 upgrade you can do to the cpu ( Yet). Dual 2.0