Headless Emac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My school computer lab wants mac's but emacs are 2 exepensive. There are tons of monitors to use so we should be able to buy headless emacs and hook them up to the monitors. This could cost 800$ canadian, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just looking at the eMac. The regular price is $1049 Canadian, and I would expect the educational price to be lower than that (probably around $900 canadian).

There is no headless eMac available, unless you removed the monitor, but that wouldn't make much sense...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by charliehorse

My school computer lab wants mac's but emacs are 2 exepensive. There are tons of monitors to use so we should be able to buy headless emacs and hook them up to the monitors. This could cost 800$ canadian, right?

dude... emacs are like 800 bucks EDU. i pray to God that that's not too expensive for your school.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Just looking at the eMac. The regular price is $1049 Canadian, and I would expect the educational price to be lower than that (probably around $900 canadian).

If you bid for them in bulk, they're significantly cheaper (I've heard US$600-$650), and Apple might even throw in some free stuff.

Quote:

There is no headless eMac available, unless you removed the monitor, but that wouldn't make much sense...

Not to mention the danger of messing with a naked CRT.

The eMac is the way it is in an effort to be everything-proof. No parts sticking out, no sharp corners, the minimum possible number of wires, and a protective shell around the whole package. That's probably worth a few extra bucks, given the nature of most school labs...