the opposite iMacG5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
would THAT make any sense:

you remember the "bread box" commodore C64? a complete computer in a keyboard ?

if a whole Mac fits into a display, why not in a keyboard? we do have all kind of wireless technology, I believe the transfer of some video content shouldn't be a problem (to mention airport extreme)?

you need a display? buy an iMac

you don't? buy an hMac (you guessed: headless) ;-)

ladies & gentlemen, your comments please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    1) Not another headless iMac thread.

2) Most computer desks have keyboard trays. Most of these, unsurprisingly, are sized for keyboards. Would purchasers of this Son of the Apple ][ have to type on top of the desk proper?

3) Given 2, and the sheer diversity of keyboards out there (including Dvorak and ergonomic keyboards), why not just go with the fabled pizza box Mac/Son of Cube?

I just don't see this fulfilling much of a need, and I say that as a Cube owner myself.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

1) Not another headless iMac thread.

2) Most computer desks have keyboard trays. Most of these, unsurprisingly, are sized for keyboards. Would purchasers of this Son of the Apple ][ have to type on top of the desk proper?

3) Given 2, and the sheer diversity of keyboards out there (including Dvorak and ergonomic keyboards), why not just go with the fabled pizza box Mac/Son of Cube?

I just don't see this fulfilling much of a need, and I say that as a Cube owner myself.

1) sorry for using the nono word , see pt 3.

2) ? not at home, the iMac is a consumer model? btw: no keyboard trays over here, just in your funny cubicles in the US; Europeans prefer desks of glas, stone, wood - REAL desks

3) ?_if the display is the "reduce to the max", the keyboard is it either, except you like to type your letters for ma via a T9 app via mouse

I didn't expect the G5iMac, and I say that as a Cube owner (with a superdrive, I'm so ? ) myself.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

1) sorry for using the nono word , see pt 3.

2) ? not at home, the iMac is a consumer model? btw: no keyboard trays over here, just in your funny cubicles in the US; Europeans prefer desks of glas, stone, wood - REAL desks

Um, most of the real desks here come with keyboard trays, too, including the glass-and-steel number I have at home, and the nearly US$3000 number from Green Designs. But maybe handcrafted cherrywood isn't good enough for a "real desk" in Europe?

Quote:

3) ?_if the display is the "reduce to the max", the keyboard is it either, except you like to type your letters for ma via a T9 app via mouse

Sorry, I can't quite parse this. What's a T9 app?

The display is a lot larger than the keyboard, and much less likely to need to be replaced (especially since Apple ships the iMacs with good monitors to begin with). The computer is also a lot safer behind the monitor than it would be under a keyboard. And most desks are either designed or adapted to accommodate large monitors. Not many accommodate giant keyboards.

Again, if you're going to do this, just make it a pizza box. Then you can have whatever keyboard you want (or need) wherever you want, you won't be spilling coffee on your CPU, etc. It's just simpler and cleaner.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I thought putting the computer in the keyboard went out of style in the mid-'80s.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Maybe a headless Mac could have VESA mounts on BOTH sides, so you could use any VESA monitor with it... that ought to sell at least a dozen units...

(yawn) Is it just me, or has Apple finally quashed the rumors community? With the G5 iMac and the photo iPod, and the universal acquiescence that the Tablet Mac is dead, is there nothing left at all for us to speculate upon?

Why, even the 3GHz G5 will surprise us only slightly more than the sun coming up in the morning.

Oh wait, there is one more: iPhone, the VOIP application that lets you make free calls over the Internet. Or has it been subsumed into iChat AV?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

? But maybe handcrafted cherrywood isn't good enough for a "real desk" in Europe?

?

Sorry, I can't quite parse this. What's a T9 app?

?

handcrafted cherrywood - you make me jealous! ;-)

T9:

forgot, that SMS (short messages service) isn't that fancy over there in the new territories: it is an app on mobile phones to simplify the input of text:

on your mobile "keyboard" you have - as on most telephones - these 2=abc, 3= def etc. to get the word "call" on the display, you have to push 3x the no2 (=c), again once 2 (=a), twice no5 (=l) and again twice no5(=l) - here comes T9: it "guesses" what you like to write; so you just push 2255 - from the endless possibilties, T9 offers you "call" on the display.

sms is a BIG business here in Germany (about 1 Billion! every year, 9 - 29?ct each), the kids esp. are as fast as hell on their phone keyboards using both thumbs ?-

I've seen such an input on DOS machines: it simulates a numberplate (oops, wrong english?) a telephone keyboard on the monitor, and you click with the mouse/cursor the virtual keys. ? pfff.-

a long explaination for such a tiny app?-

I prefer a real keyboard - but, what if, you put a G5 into it? oops, we had that?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

I prefer a real keyboard - but, what if, you put a G5 into it? oops, we had that? [/B]

Just think...you would have a little finger warmer on the cold days when you felt too stingy to turn up the heat What about in summer (and summers here can reach 45C)...what does too much sweat on a keyboard mean? Potential death by keyboard...not a good look

Aesthetically, how would you combat the height and breadth of such a keyboard/computer. Ok, if you liked a large object on your desk, that would be fine. But the minimalist look is in at present. A great big slab plus an external monitor is not going to look too flash on a desk.

Lastly, there are enough warnings on keyboards already. Why would Apple potentially create an ergonomic nightmare and open itself to litigation?

Sadly, the Amiga 500/C64 will rest in pieces, left on the great scrapheap of progress. We have moved on...to iPod socks?????
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by a j stev

...you would have a little finger warmer

...what does too much sweat on a keyboard mean?

?Aesthetically, how would you combat the height and breadth of such a keyboard/computer.?

Lastly, there are enough warnings on keyboards already. Why would Apple potentially create an ergonomic nightmare and open itself to litigation?

Sadly, the Amiga 500/C64 will rest in pieces, left on the great scrapheap of progress. We have moved on...to iPod socks?????

I personally LIKE finger warmers?

heat IS a problem - gets the new iMac THAT warm? don't forget, it has a "lamp" of up to 20" included.- you drop your sweat into your keyboard in summer?? oooh, smells like teen spirit

size: you've seen an 12" iBook lately? in sq meters it is smaller then my actual keyboard?- ok, the aspect ratio is a little? unused

iPod socks - my mother in law is knitting some for xmas?-

thanx for your comments
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Computer inside keyboard is out of style?

What about all of those laptops?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a j stev

...We have moved on...to iPod socks?????

The iPod Socks, exactly. I would say we've seen the last new computer design from Apple for some time, as more of its attention gets moved to the iPod area. After all, when did we last hear the words 'million units' applied to Mac computers?

It's not a bad line-up; the iMac G5 will probably sell quite a few units. The Linux deluge will start in the spring, though, and the computing landscape will be hugely altered. Apple can survive as a company with its iPod, for a while at least.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    There is entirely too much winking going on in this thread. Kind of makes me feel dirty to read it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    meromero Posts: 27member
    Hi:

/end headless mac thread.

ps.

Tape your keyboard to the top of it. Use duct tape, it will match better.