Probably a stupid question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK most of you people will think this is a very stupid question im sure but i need an answer none the less.

I am getting myself an old powermac either G£ or G$, now that technology is a little bit bad for what my uses for it will be but i am getting it cheap so im not complaining. Now the question. I know macs uses motorolla processors (please tell me im right here), so would it be possible to take out the old powermac processor and replace it with a pentium 4. If it is possible what else is going to need replacing (do i need a new motherboard or what), and while im on the subject if i want to up the memory to say about 512mb what do i need to change, and if i want to put a new hard drive in what needs changin, and would it be compatible after doing all that to put a GeForce Graphics card in there aswell.

Like i said probably a stupid question so try not to laugh too hard and any help would be of great use to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa...

No.

If you want a PC, buy or build a PC, and enjoy the viruses.

Read the ridicule this tool faced before you dig the same hole.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ok,

but is it possible to say buy a G5 processor, and ram for an apple and then put that into it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    No. No G5 upgrade option exists.

There are some processor upgrades available for some models (usually those with CPU on a daughtercard), but generally the performance gain from a faster CPU potentially still hobbled by legacy Mobo clock speeds mean that in most cases, the 'upgrade' option doesn't get the bang for the buck that a new system would.

You might swap the CPU for a 1.42GHz G4 (the highest currently shipping, I think), but the premium you'd pay to do so is probably high while its performance benefits might still be limited due to slower slots or system bus or GPU (depending on model).

You might be better off selling the G3 or G4 and rolling its resale and your potential 'upgrade' money into a G5 in the first place.

You'll go from a (best case in a G3/G4) 167MHz system/memory bus to one at least 3 times faster (iMac G5), and potentially more than 6 times faster (PM Dual G5). Same with RAM... you'll see much faster DDR RAM in a G5 Motherboard than any prior Mac...

If you're asking because you like tinkering, fine... if you want max specs, get new.

Quote:

a little bit bad for what my uses for it will be

What would this machine need to do that you think it can't do now?

• Reply 4 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hetsscaryguy

ok,

but is it possible to say buy a G5 processor, and ram for an apple and then put that into it.

No, or I should say, not yet. Apple itself doesn't sell CPU daughtercard upgrades (yes the CPU and L2 cache is soldered onto a daughtercard that plugs into the motherboard). However there are third parties that do sell G4 upgrade cards. However if you're buying a late model G4 then you wouldn't see much upside to upgrading the CPU since the G4 tops out around 1.5GHz.

There are no G5 upgrades yet. I doubt G5 upgrades will ever be released for G4 computers since the FSB is so radically different (that means better BTW).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Damn you, intriguing bedroom community! You beat me buy that much!