iMac G4 1.25 vs. iMac G5 1.8

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The only real difference between the two is price ($1099 vs. $1399) and CPU. Also, the G4 is certified reconditioned.

Does it make sense to go backwards in technology to get the reconditioned iMac because I absolutely love how it looks?

Or is that thinking dumb and should I just go for the new G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Personally, I'd get the G5. But if you really love how the G4 iMac looks that much then go for it if you're willing to give up the improvement that the G5 would give.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Are those both for the 17" model? Because I do believe you can get some good deals on 20" G4 iMacs - I'd get one of those, because it won't be a whole lot slower than the G5, but it still gives you that huge, luxurious screen.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If you are thinking in games get the G5, has a better video card, but like you I love the G4 iMac! For basic use it will be a great machine
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I don't remember the site but apple posted some benchmarks betweent he two and the G5 was noticably faster. I agree that the G4 just looks cooler in every sense of the word but if i was told i had to buy one or the other, it would eb the G5
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Never trust Apple benchmarks! I remember some 300% increase in games but if you check Barefeats you will see "only" a 15% or 30% increase in games. Maybe some specific G5 applications will run faster but not by much
  • Reply 6 of 6
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Apple benches are pure spin for the most part,G4 imac was much better looking in my view. With tiger coming and Apple moving to G5s across the line I would say G5 if you want any future proof machine. As many have said if they mated a real videochip to the new iMac it would be a tour de force but with fx5200 it can only get 4 out of 5 stars. Apple still trying to push people to Powermacs or Pcs.\