Apple patent application reveals wireless iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Analysts don't foresee an Apple iPod with wireless capabilities emerging anytime soon, but a newly obtained document provides incontrovertible evidence that the company has been experimenting with wireless iPods for nearly two years.

A patent application submitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and recently obtained by AppleInsider, appears to portray an Apple iPod with wireless capabilities, including the ability to broadcast music to other devices.

The document's abstract begins, "One aspect of the media player system pertains to a docking station that allows a media player to communicate with other media devices. Another aspect of the media player system pertains to a wireless media player system that includes a hand held media player capable of transmitting information over a wireless connection and one or more media devices capable of receiving information over the wireless connection. Another aspect of the media player system pertains to a method of wirelessly connecting the hand held media player to another device. The method includes selecting a media item on the hand held media player; selecting one or more remote recipients on the hand held media player; and transmitting the media item locally to the hand held media player, and wirelessly to the selected remote recipients."

View the patent application in its entirety.

The document goes on to describe an iPod that can wirelessly transmit music and other information to other media systems: "Another aspect of the media player system pertains to a hand held music player that includes a transmitter for transmitting information over a wireless connection. The transmitter is configured to at least transmit a continuous music feed to one or more personal tuning devices that each include a receiver capable of receiving information from the transmitter over the wireless connection. Yet another aspect of the media player system pertains to a connector that includes a housing and a plurality of spatially separated contacts mounted within the housing. A first set of contacts are directed at a first functionality and a second set of contacts are directed at a second functionality that is different than the first functionality."

Apple filed for the patent on April 25, 2003. The document credits the technology to Anthony Fadell, Stephen Zadesky, and John Benjamin.

Earlier this year, AppleInsider noted that Apple was seeking a new member for its iPod hardware engineering division that was experienced in integrating both various wireless communication technologies as well as video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Makes ya wonder how well existing media players with wireless capabilities are selling. If they were a hot product, Apple would have their own out by now, so they've been waiting for demand, or potential demand.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    ..every rumour these days is about iPods. I want to hear about Apple Computers.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    A wireless iPod would be a nice addition for "active" users (ie. when running, working out, etc.)

I foresee headphones (Bluetooth?) that receive the broadcast from the iPod.

No more having your buds unceremoniously yanked out of your ears...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    With Bluetooth, you could not only transmit the sound to wireless headphones, but also to a bluetooth-equipped radio (Bluetooth could be included in car radios for instance). You could also make a way for the radio to control the iPod wirelessly through Bluetooth while you're at it. And there are all kinds of other interesting applications I won't mention that could see the light of day...
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

Makes ya wonder how well existing media players with wireless capabilities are selling. If they were a hot product, Apple would have their own out by now, so they've been waiting for demand, or potential demand.

I didn't know there where already media players that could transmit wirelessly. If Apple offere this, people would definately buy it. Especially since Apple needs to keep the cool factor going with each revision.

I didn't think Bluetooth range was all that great, but I guess still good enough for earphones.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    The iPod G with AirTunes- Capable of transmitting and receiving data via 54g, the wireless remote everyones been waiting for. Seamless intergration with your Airport.

Coming soon...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

With Bluetooth, you could not only transmit the sound to wireless headphones, but also to a bluetooth-equipped radio (Bluetooth could be included in car radios for instance). You could also make a way for the radio to control the iPod wirelessly through Bluetooth while you're at it. And there are all kinds of other interesting applications I won't mention that could see the light of day...

Yeah, sure, bluetooth included in cars. That'll be the day. Hell, only a minority of cars sell with Radios that have easily accessible (if any) line input jack.

Oh, and a bluetooth enabled iPod. Wonder how long that battery will last. Two hours (new) to 15 minutes (used), probably
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ct77

A wireless iPod would be a nice addition for "active" users (ie. when running, working out, etc.)

I foresee headphones (Bluetooth?) that receive the broadcast from the iPod.

No more having your buds unceremoniously yanked out of your ears...

one company already makes a bluetooth headset for the iPod. i'll find the link later (its in a magazine).
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Yeah, sure, bluetooth included in cars. That'll be the day. Hell, only a minority of cars sell with Radios that have easily accessible (if any) line input jack.

Oh, and a bluetooth enabled iPod. Wonder how long that battery will last. Two hours (new) to 15 minutes (used), probably

I'm not talking about the cheap basic radios, but aftermarket ones (Alpine, etc.) or radios in upper end cars (BMW, etc.)

And for your info, Bluetooth is a low-power wireless technology. The newer spec is even supposed to use less energy than the present one, while allowing more bandwith. Some mice last weeks on a set of batteries right now, so an iPod with good battery time would still be possible.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I know it is future hardware, but can't these posts be made in Digital Hub where they belong? Either that, or create a forum for Future Digital Hub or something. I realize Apple's income is becoming more and more based on the success the iPod/iTunes but I would really love to see a distinction between computer and pod. My opinion anyway...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Wow, two people compaining about this being another iPod article. That's interesting. And they even took the time to tell the world that they weren't impressed. Hmmm.

I think it's great to learn that Apple is doing more than meets the eye. I agree the iPod saga is getting worn out in terms of being exciting, and I wonder what amazing new product Apple will release in 2005, if that's possible (they always surprise us... remember how nobody knew about the Airport Express?)
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Try http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm. For a bluetooth set which looks as though it would plug into the iPod. Cool idea but the add-on pack seems a bit bulky
  • Reply 13 of 43
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

Wow, two people compaining about this being another iPod article. That's interesting. And they even took the time to tell the world that they weren't impressed. Hmmm.

You're right, we shouldn't complain, the iPod is the only thing keeping Apple alive.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I didn't think Bluetooth range was all that great, but I guess still good enough for earphones.

10 meters I think? Thats quite nice..

But after all, the question is, Bluetooth or Airport? Personally I'd vote for Airport...
  • Reply 15 of 43
    why???just why would u want a wireless iPod...honestly, whoever said that before is right...im sick of iPod rumors, i wanna hear about computers...apple is getting off course...and quite honestly, if apple goes under one day i wont be able to use a computer again...sneezcoughcough is just stupid... dude, i guess u really are getting a dell one day!!!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

why???just why would u want a wireless iPod...honestly, whoever said that before is right...im sick of iPod rumors, i wanna hear about computers...apple is getting off course...

Apple is a business...a business with skills in creating devices that combine digital and analog hardware, great software, elegant design and terrific human touch. This need not be limited to "computers".
  • Reply 17 of 43
    wireless ipod?

hmmmmmm...

i could see ipod "gatherings" where everyone samples each others music. btw i FINALLY got to actually use an ipod photo yesterday at best buy, and lemme tell ya, it felt PERFECT in my hands with a much better screen than the regular 4g ipod...
  • Reply 18 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The only thing that makes sense to me at this point is putting wireless in a dock rather than the iPod itself. There'd be no extra junk in the iPod itself that you wouldn't need, but you could link the docked iPod to your wireless home network to add music to the iPod and to stream to your airtunes stereo directly from the iPod rather than just iTunes.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The only thing that makes sense to me at this point is putting wireless in a dock rather than the iPod itself. There'd be no extra junk in the iPod itself that you wouldn't need, but you could link the docked iPod to your wireless home network to add music to the iPod and to stream to your airtunes stereo directly from the iPod rather than just iTunes.

Actually, thats also what the patent says.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Digital Hub...