Problem connecting two iMacs.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Until recently my girlfriend and I could mount each others iMacs just by going to Connect Server (linked over airport), choosing a volume, then username and password. We were both running 10.2.8.

I then upgraded to 10.3, and now she can?t mount my drive. When she goes to Server Connect she can no longer connect my machine, even though it appears to be on the list. What is odd was that in the past the server address was something like 10.4.0.0, whereas now it is something like 10.4.0.0:548. What?s this colon 548 business? I can still do connect server and mount her volume.

The computers do still talk to each other as sharing iPhoto and iTune still works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    This happened to us also. Repairing permissions solved the problem.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    the colon is a delimiter showing that the port number will follow. 548 is the port number for afp over ip.

10.3 is just being more exact.

I assume in the server connect you enter afp://10.4.0.0 (10.4.0.0 being your machine).

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a lot of problems with finding other computers in the network panel. As you have experienced, everything works find if you use 'connect to server' with the IP address.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tonton,

why do you think I was so upset we'd lost the ability to mount each other whenever we wanted ;-)

David
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    Check the physical connections, check your settings in the Sharing Preference Panel, repair permissions...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I had this problem myself once when I had the same login and or pass on two computers - Infact I had just upgraded to 10.3 myself and I had another machine with 10.2.8 - Maybe that is the problem?

Come to think of it the actual problem was the machine names(in your preferences under Sharing) were the same not the login/pass.