Should I switch at all?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I am planning my computer purchase, targeting for a date that would let me take delivery over the semester break, thus giveing me enough time to get up to speed and set up.

here is my problem.

I have to run M$ visual studio.net, viso.net, and access for classes next semester, I want to switch, but with classes like this, would a mac be counter productive? would I be better to stay with an x86-64 xp box?

(rant)

If only Apple would release osx on x86-64...

(/rant)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, I am planning my computer purchase, targeting for a date that would let me take delivery over the semester break, thus giveing me enough time to get up to speed and set up.

here is my problem.

I have to run M$ visual studio.net, viso.net, and access for classes next semester, I want to switch, but with classes like this, would a mac be counter productive? would I be better to stay with an x86-64 xp box?

(rant)

(/rant)

unless youre getting a dual G5 with virtual PC, i would just keep the PC for now. you can always switch down the road.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

unless youre getting a dual G5 with virtual PC, i would just keep the PC for now. you can always switch down the road.

Well, maybe next summer I will buy a laptop, I want one but must first replace the desktop for more power, I will see where the Mac world is then...this sux... Looks like I will be dual booting xp and fedora.

(reads ipodandimacs sig)

Can I borrow your rig in Jan. if I return it by, oh say...May...please!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    We don't want you in our little club. Go away. Nyah-nyah! Thrrrrrpt!

Seriously, sounds like you're tied to the old ball and chain there.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    You have a desktop, right? Pick up an iBook. It doesn't take up much room, and you may be surprised how much you end up using it. Powerbooks are better, but iBooks are really cheap, and are great for throwing in backpacks.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

here is my problem.

(rant)

(/rant)

Dittos on the iBook suggestion. I find that there are some things that I can't do on my PowerBook, so I use the computer labs when I need to. BUT, I would never use a PC when I could use my Mac. Virtual PC isn't really a good option, unfortunately, but the iBook would at least let you use Mac OS X for note-taking, browsing, e-mail, etc. and you could use your PC for your programming/database needs.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It's good to have both platforms anyway. iBook and iMac are both excellent value. I think the 15" PB is pretty good as well, I have owner bias though.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Well, maybe next summer I will buy a laptop, I want one but must first replace the desktop for more power, I will see where the Mac world is then...this sux... Looks like I will be dual booting xp and fedora.

So.. what do you need the *power* for?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well, maybe I could stay with the current rig for windows and codeing and get an ibook for everything else...not to mention learning unix and the priceless skill of porting all of my windows work (hehehe)

Now my next question is is it worth my wild to join ADC student before buying my ibook?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Well, maybe I could stay with the current rig for windows and codeing and get an ibook for everything else...not to mention learning unix and the priceless skill of porting all of my windows work (hehehe)

Now my next question is is it worth my wild to join ADC student before buying my ibook?

If you're inquiring about getting a student discount, you don't need to be a member of ADC to get it. There may be some other advantage, but if there is I don't know about it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

If you're inquiring about getting a student discount, you don't need to be a member of ADC to get it. There may be some other advantage, but if there is I don't know about it.

I ask because, majoring in CIS, ADC seems like an obvious must. and the adc members discount sounded usefull...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

I ask because, majoring in CIS, ADC seems like an obvious must. and the adc members discount sounded usefull...

Well, ADC gives you the monthly mailings, which can be useful. Also, you do get the discount, though I wouldn't waste it on an iBook. The ADC discount versus the education discount on iBooks is minimal difference. Save that for a purchase like a PM G5.

Potential for a student scholarship to WWDC is also a plus . (though I'm not sure if the student membership is required)

Oh yeah, you also usually get the final release of an OS shortly after release (no OS beta seeds though), which is $69 savings.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Last I checked, ADC gave you a 20% hardware discount.

Don't waste it on an iBook.

Anyway, I must reiterate what Gon said: "What do you need the power for?" It seems like all you do is code. Unless you're compiling huge projects (huge), coding is not a processor intense activity.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    What about us Brits!? LOL I DEMAND ADC for the UK, at the moment we can only get a maximum discount of 10% (using education discounts), do we get an equivalent?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I joined ADC using a sudent membership recently, mostly to save the 20% on a new dual 2.5 G5. I agree with someone above, it'd be a waste to use your once-per-lifetime student discount on an iBook. Just use the standard 10% education discount.

If you have a PC tower that'll run the stuff you need to run (and to run the stuff you listed, it wouldn't have to be much of a machine), then go with some type of portable Apple product. If you don't have a PC tower yet, then get one because going to the labs to code is icky.

When (if?) you get an expensive Apple machine, then do the developer thing. The CDs are pretty cool anyway, plus you get a free shirt. One more day between laundry cycles at least...

-Ender
  • Reply 15 of 16
    What is ADC?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

What is ADC?

Apple developers connection, for software (and hardware) designers, lots of recorces, pre-release OSes, lab compatiblity tests, yada yada, if you code, check it out, if not, disregaurd.