iSight/video chat with Windows users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Please forgive the ignorance if this has already been answered. (I did a search but didn't find anything.)

I've got an iSight, and it's been fantastic for letting the kids keep up with an out-of-state grandmother, who has an iMac and iSight of her own.

But now the other grandparents are jealous and want to video chat, too. Unfortunately, they have an WinXP box. So my question is two-fold:

First, what are my software options for Mac/Win video chat? Can this be done through iChat/AIM, or do I need something else?

Second, given a workable software solution, can anyone recommend a good camera (USB or FireWire) for Windows? I need to keep the solution relatively simple, as the grandparents that will be getting a webcam for Christmas are a long way away and I can't set it up for them.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JTMac

First, what are my software options for Mac/Win video chat? Can this be done through iChat/AIM, or do I need something else?

Skype springs to my mind.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    iChat and AIM/Win can indeed video chat... IF you get all the firewall and router settings correct. It's all set up for you on the Mac end, but it seems to be a big problem on the Windows side of things. I've only had a successful iChat/AIM-Win chat a few times. Some people I've simply given up trying with - they tend not to be able to video chat with other Windows user reliably either though, so...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Skype springs to my mind.

Skype is audio-only.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's what we're doing this year.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Skype is audio-only.

Oops, my mistake. I was led to believe it was both.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    iVisit works well to do a Mac/Win video chat but it is not as good as iChat.