TV Capture

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am getting a Powerbook, and I am interested in purchasing something that can capture TV similar to the ATI All-in-wonder cards that are out for the PC. Obviously it would need to be external, and have an input for cable coax cable. Does anybody have any recomendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by rockets19:

<strong>I am getting a Powerbook, and I am interested in purchasing something that can capture TV similar to the ATI All-in-wonder cards that are out for the PC. Obviously it would need to be external, and have an input for cable coax cable. Does anybody have any recomendations?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.eskapelabs.com/mytv.html"; target="_blank">http://www.eskapelabs.com/mytv.html</a>;

there you go man
  • Reply 2 of 3
    what i was wondering:

is it possible to attach a playstation to this kind of tv capture?

Any thoughts on latency?

What about sound? Do some deveices capture sound+video simultaneously?(with red,white,yellow rca-plugs)

U know just like a tv input-adaptor from playstation ( tv:yellow/red:Laudio/white:Raudio)to an euro(av)connector that goes in a tv.

anybody?

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: drazztikka ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Oh yes, most of these devices, including the one above, include RCA plugs. Sometimes the audio is provided by standard minijacks, but a $5 adapter takes care of that.

Note, though, that anything you hook up to USB 1.1 or below is going to max out at 320x240 or 384x288, depending on whether you're using NTSC or PAL. For a Mac, you would need a Firewire analog to digital video converter to capture even at 720x480. That will run into serious money, I think about $200. Well, who knows what serious money is to you. I call it that because you can get a good small television for that, so if you're avoiding buying a TV for your dorm room to hook up your game console, it might be a bit much. If you want to save space or do real capture, it's pretty good.

Rockets19 would need a cable converter as well, though.