Be reasonable and feasible.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The <a href="http://www.apple.com"; target="_blank">www.apple.com</a> countdown to MWSF02 is a big deal to me and to most of us here. I think that the key to knowing whats next is to know what is possible at a CONSUMER price. Apple says beyond the rumor sites, right? Well, what if I have something to say that is beyond these sites because these sites may have simply lost the plot.

Apple has made no mention of a professional piece of hardware that will be "Eye Catching, Powerful, or User Friendly." apple has made that reference only to an unknown consumer product. Being realistic and an optimist though I would say that Apple will indeed release a G5 at MWSF02 simply becuase I believe it is time for a processor change even if this processor is not the real 8500 G5 it will be FAST.

The iMac is sure to be redone. I personally think that this new iMac will be more revolutionary than the first iMac but less revolutionary than the original Macintosh. My idea of a totally amazing iMac is one that really is the digital hub. I have no clue as to what design this new iMac will take on but I have a feeling that it will be reminiscent of the G4 Cube. Apple would not waste so much R&D on the Cube only to have it never show up again in any way, even if it is the color or the no fan idea. I expect Apple to ship the new iMac bundled with an iPod for maybe a small added fee, further empahsizing the digital hub idea. Gamecube compatible? This would shove the PC argument of gaming being bad on a Mac right in a PC users face. I think Nintendo is a perfect match for Apple in this kind of partnership too, both very similar companies.

Apple will likely introduce a new digital device of some kind that may even be what the hype is all about. This device and the new TBA products are only known to probably a little less than 200 people in the world (maybe mastergateing) thus the total secrecy. Maybe the product is so great that nobody that knows about it would dare tell because of backlash? Apple will surely surprise us in just four short days (or long days) with the intention of "Blowing us away" going "Beyond the rumor sites" and "Being big even for their standards."

My guesses.

Powermac G5 1.2 1.4 dual 1.6

iMac G4, Superdrive included in high end, LCD, bundled device, Gamecube compatible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    That is similar to what most people are saying, so what it looks like to me is that you are posting this thread under the appearance of a reprimand for being unreasonable in order to post your predictions in a different thread so it will be seen by more people.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Macintosh: The voice of maturity on AI.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>I have no clue as to what design this new iMac will take on but I have a feeling that it will be reminiscent of the G4 Cube. Apple would not waste so much R&D on the Cube only to have it never show up again in any way, even if it is the color or the no fan idea. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummm, can we let this cube/iMac idea die? It is probably not going to happen. And the possibilities have been beaten to death. Yes the iMac will most likely not have a fan, but that isnt exactly ressurecting the cube. I REALLY WANT a new cube, and based on that there is no way Apple will introduce it.

Apple will re-introduce the Cube when they feel it will sell. That means a slot-loading superdrive. A ways off.

[quote]Macintosh cont.

<strong>I expect Apple to ship the new iMac bundled with an iPod for maybe a small added fee, further empahsizing the digital hub idea. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I'd say $100 or so off retail.

[quote]Macintosh cont.

<strong>Gamecube compatible? This would shove the PC argument of gaming being bad on a Mac right in a PC users face. I think Nintendo is a perfect match for Apple in this kind of partnership too, both very similar companies. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not in the iMac. Maybe a separate device tho. Nintendo outsourses the manuf.(sp?) of GameCube-compatible systems to panasonic (they have DVD players!).

The reason for this would be the major added cost and complexities of having the GC ports for controllers and Memcards, not to mention the ass-backwards CD drive.

If Apple were to make GCs, they would have to be pretty sweet to compete with the $200 GC. I'm talking HD, Ethernet, and even a DVD-R?. Way too expensive.

Based on this I doubt it will happen. It would be cool tho.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Macintosh:

Your title says: "Be reasonable and feasible"

Then you guess: "Powermac G5 1.2 1.4 dual 1.6

iMac G4, Superdrive included in high end, LCD, bundled device, Gamecube compatible. "

Yeah maybe man.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    toofeutoofeu Posts: 73member
    I want a G5 so bad....

• Reply 6 of 7
    Actually, if the G5 is introduced, a G4 iMac is VERY feasable. Think about it...there'd be a huge gap between G3s and G5s, and i doubt they'd keep 2 tower models running simultaneously. That said, I wish they would- if they still sold G3 towers, they'd probably do well...people who need more than an iMac can offer, but don't want to spend too much extra on a G4.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by stratusgd:

<strong>Actually, if the G5 is introduced, a G4 iMac is VERY feasable. Think about it...there'd be a huge gap between G3s and G5s, and i doubt they'd keep 2 tower models running simultaneously. That said, I wish they would- if they still sold G3 towers, they'd probably do well...people who need more than an iMac can offer, but don't want to spend too much extra on a G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Personally, I think a G4 iMac has a better chance of happeneing then a G5 powermac.

The reasoning behind this is that Apple really needs to get AltiVec out there. The iMac and the PM can be differenciated by DDR ram and the Bus if the PM doesnt get the G5, so that will not be a problem.

-Paul

P.S. 100 POSTS!!!

P.P.S. Whats up with the Silicon Alley Forum?