CD-RW multisession/directcd rant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In Apple's land of "everything just works", why aren't CD-RW's multisession, or directcd in OSX?

Why can't you just keep writing files to the CD-RW, just like you expect it to work?

Having to erase the CD-RW with disk utility has got to be the most un-customer friendly, unusable thing I've seen in awhile.

It's embarassing when my wife asks me to erase the CD-RW just so she can add a new file.

Solutions?

Sure, I could buy her a thumb drive, but it seems a waste of money when the computer has a "superdrive"...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    When you write a note using a pencil, and make a mistake, do you use a pencileraser to erase the mistake and write the correct word, or do you keep writing over the old word without erasing it first?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

When you write a note using a pencil, and make a mistake, do you use a pencileraser to erase the mistake and write the correct word, or do you keep writing over the old word without erasing it first?

When I'm writing a note, I don't erase the whole page to change one word...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Why sure you don't. But the only difference in this case is that, the CD-RW is written by a Machine and a Machine needs to erase it. If it were automatic, the machine would erase all of your other CD-RWs which I doubt you would want to be erased.

That is why, when you make a mistake, you erase the word(s) yourself. You don't let the pencil sharpener do it, because face it, they still don't have human brains to be able to distinguish automatically what you want and what you don't want erased. I'm sure you know this already.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Why sure you don't. But the only difference in this case is that, the CD-RW is written by a Machine and a Machine needs to erase it.

Brilliant Gene Clean.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance. --Confucious