are superdrives superslow?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
new guy has a question...i am almost convinced that i will be getting the new PB G4 superdrive to update my current system, an old G3 266 tower (dont laugh)...of the few things that concern me, is the superdrive ability to only write DVD-Rs at 1x...how long will that take to burn a 4.7GB DVD-R?..with the external burner i now have, it takes me 40 min to burn a 700MB cd at 2x...doing a little math i would figure it would take hours at 1x to burn 4.7BB!?!is this right?..are there any destop superdrive owners that can shed some light?..thanks....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    1x DVD data rate is around 9Mb/s; 1x CD rate is 1.5Mb/s. Slow, but not super slow.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>1x DVD data rate is around 9Mb/s; 1x CD rate is 1.5Mb/s. Slow, but not super slow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

its slow, but as far as DVD burning goes, its not too shabby, its realtime so an hr movie should take alittle longer then an hour i think
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It's slow for burnin cds, and readin cds and dvds.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: TigerWoods99 ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If Apple would only resolve its iDVD issues, most Ti owners would probably be a lot happier with an internal Combo unit and one of the upcoming 4X DVD-rw units.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Specs for Superdrive on PB are:

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); writes DVD-R discs at 1x

speed, reads DVDs at 6x speed, writes CD-R discs at

8x speed, writes CD-RW discs at 4x speed, reads CDs

at 24x speed

Here's PowerMac specs:

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); writes DVD-R discs at

2x speed, reads DVDs at 6x speed, writes CD-R discs

at 8x speed, writes CD-W discs at 4x speed, reads

CDs at 24x speed

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    strange that the two drives differ only in the Dvd-r burning speed, weird that that little spec made the difference to use in portable.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robust:

<strong>strange that the two drives differ only in the Dvd-r burning speed, weird that that little spec made the difference to use in portable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

my guess is heat.... heat was likely a problem since the desktop drive has a fan and the powerbook drive does not... 1x produces less heat
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Heat is the reason. Upcoming SuperDrives in Towers will be Pioneer DVR-105 Quad Speed 4x drives. PowerBooks need the upcoming cooling system overhaul to accomidate 2x slotloads next year and Quad speed slotloads in 2004.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Superslow? How many speeds are there for superdrives? Why is it that this 'slow' word is always thrown around?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sorry kid, for the objectionable choice of an adjective...i am inquiring into the length of time the PB superdrive 1x burner would take to burn a 4.7gb dvd-r...so far i hear 9mb/sec and "real time"...seems to be conflicting, any other thoughts?...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The 9Mbits/s rate was a guess. DVD 1x is actually 1385Kbytes/s, which is 11Mbits/s.

A 1x drive would take about an hour to burn a 4.7GB DVD.

(edit: sorry for any confusion between megabytes (MB) and megabits (Mb)).

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: Stoo ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 13
    stoo, thanks a lot for the info and clarification....
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It isnt that slow on my iMac, i mean real time isnt that bad at all. Just dont edit video WHILE it burns the DVD.