sharing folders in OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have my PB for a few weeks, yesterday I was trying to share some files with a friend of mine that uses a PC with windows XP. I created a network, and he connected to my network with no problems, now using finder I can get to his shared folders with no problem, but how can he access mine? I don't even know how to put something in share. How does it work in osx ? is it that different from windows? in windows I right click a folder go to properties and make it "sharable" :P how do I do this in os x ? I noticed there is a folder called public ( in ~/ ) with a drop box in it, bue still my friend wasn't able to see this public folder in his "network places".

thanks

peace

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You should be able to just put the files you want to share in the Public folder in your home directory. The Drop Box is only for uploads, and as such he won't be able to see what is in it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    OSX only shares your public folder to guests. There is a highly regarded bit of freeware called sharepoints

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12512

that will let you share any directory on your disk.

By default the permissions on your public folder are set to read only. The drop box is available for receiving files even when the public folder is read only. You can change the permissions for the public folder by selecting it and using command-I.

It has been a long time since I've tried to connect from windows to a Mac. Probably you can search Apple's Knowledge Base for a document on this.

One thing to check is that you have set the same workgroup as the pc. Without that he might not see your machine. In the Utilities folder in the Applications folder launch Directory Access. Click the lock and enter your password to enable changes. Click on SMB and click configure. This brings up a field to let you change the workgroup.

Also, in System Preferences / Sharing turn on Windows Sharing.

Good luck.