PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz buying hints

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hiya all,

I wouldn't have thought it, but I am actually thinking of buying a G5 PowerMac system after long years with iMacs (currently a G4 iMac).

Would you have some recommendations on the following questions, please?

1) Which video card do I need as an average home user, not involved in heavy

video editing or rendering? I just want to keep it open, though, to upgrade

to a bigger Cinema display . . .

2) Which memory size is best for dual processors? Twice the normal

recommendation? I guess, if I just want to have a really fast machine for,

like Virtual PC, 2 gigs would be OK?

3) I am a bit put off by Apple's European prices (USD = EURO), so buying

in the US would be cheaper for me. What kind of taxes and custom fees

would I have to pay for a delivery to Germany? Are there Apple dealers in

the US delivering to Europe as well?

Many thanks for your comments!

Best wishes,

iSmiley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    enderender Posts: 353member
    My dual 2.5 ghz shipped friday, should have it this friday.

I decided to go with the Radeon 9800. It's good good power but won't break the bank. I figure that if I ever need to upgrade to the 30" monitor, I can buy whatever the latest and greatest graphics card is at the time. Even with its power, I doubt the big GeForce now can do most of the latest full-screen grahpics intense games at the full resolution of the 30" screen.

Apple's RAM prices are, of course, severely whacked. Buy it with the minimum that they will let you and then get 3rd party RAM to get the total up to what you'd like it to be. Remember that the G5 towers need RAM installed in matching pairs. I got mine with 2x256 MB, and I just ordered another 2x512 from crucial.com. I'm gonna try it with 1.5 GB RAM for a while and watch the activity monitor to see if I end up with much paging. Can always get another gig or two later.

Can't help you with your import/export questions.

Good luck

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSmiley

Hiya all,

I wouldn't have thought it, but I am actually thinking of buying a G5 PowerMac system after long years with iMacs (currently a G4 iMac).

Best wishes,

iSmiley

1. just get the stock graphics card (Radeon 9600 i believe). if cost isnt an issue, get the 9800XT.

2. i would get 1GB of ram for your system. get the stock 512 from apple, then buy the rest from crucial or ramjet. if you can afford more than 1 gig, go ahead and get it. i would stop at 2GB though (for your needs)

3. dunno.

check out my sig for my system breakdown. the G5 is the best computer ever.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSmiley

Hiya all,

Best wishes,

iSmiley

1) I agree with ipodandimac - if you're not doing any heavy image or video processing, get the stock card. As he said, you can always upgrade if your work evolves in a different direction.

2) If you want a really fast machine for Virtual PC, stick with your imac and buy a cheap (hey, they're all cheap) PC _as well_. I stopped running VPC on my mac when I realized just how sluggish it really was compared to a true Windoze box. I invested in a used PC (paid about $500) and I "double box" it now. Can't tell you what a difference it's made. More hassle in some ways, but seriously, a much better solution if you spend any time in windows applications at all. My point: _nothing_ makes VPC run "really fast" on a mac.

3) Your best bet is probably to arrange your own shipping (via FEdex or DHL) and have them pick up the machine at the dealer and deliver it to where you are. A quick call to the Deutsche Zoll will tell you what you'll be expected to pay for duties/taxes. Import it using a corporate entity (GmBH in Germany?) if you can - usually works out to your advantage. Also, consider buying from Apple's US store's Special Deals section - refurbished machines. All the regular warranties, etc. but cheaper. I'm Canadian and I can buy from them at the US store and they still ship it here. Servicing a US bought mac might be a problem for you, though.

Best of luck.