New Mac User - Internet Security Question

gapgap
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello all,

My first Mac will be arriving sometime this week and I just have a few questions about internet security.

I've been informed that due to huge market share enjoyed by Windows that few viruses are written for Mac and that there is no point in getting any antivirus software, just a firewall. Is this right? If not, could someone recommend a good program?

Secondly, do I need to purchase a Firewall from the likes of Norton or is there one available for free somewhere? Or is the one that comes as part of OSX good enough (the connection to the internet is broadband).

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    You should need nothing other than to activate the OS's firewall.

A few threads where this is discussed:

If that doesn't answer your question, you can do a search of the AI forums. Welcome!

--B
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    As bergz said use the built in firewall.

Regarding antivirus stuff, If you have PC's on your network then you could run antivirus stuff for their benefit. Antivirus for mac is currently of little use for the mac itself as there are few real viruses around for mac (will hopefully stay this way).

The best part is you can surf to sites like hackers.de and those dodgey russian sites without your computer dying mysteriously or being infected ti who knows what.

Cheers,

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Brickhouse activates and customizes with a simple interface OSX's build-in firewall. And it's free.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gapgap Posts: 9member
    thanks guys
  • Reply 5 of 5
    AVOID Norton like the pox...

Norton was useful in OS 9, but causes more problems than it fixes in OS X