G4 450 Powermac vs. G3 iBook 800

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been thinking about trading in our G4 450 mhz Tower and running off a new G3 iBook 800 attached to a 19" display (using the spanning hack).

My question is what sort of speed loss or gain will i experience? The Powermac has a faster bus but slower videocard (16mb) and slower clock speed. But it still is a G4.

Occasionally I'll use Photoshop but not that often. But mostly Illustrator and Quark.

I would love to be able to just pack up my iBook and take it home with me.

Don't suggest a Powerbook...i simply can't afford it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You should get a powerbook, Steve wants you to pay extra for it, he even added a superdrive just so you might. Nevermind that he crippled the iBook's video and insists on hamstringing it with a G3, for no good technical reason. Pay up, what could be more important than Apple's margins?

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The slow iBook disk is going to hurt when you're dealing with lots of tasty, 300dpi CMYK graphics.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>The slow iBook disk is going to hurt when you're dealing with lots of tasty, 300dpi CMYK graphics.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I think i may scrap that idea. Perhaps if there's a price drop in the 17" iMac, it could be a replacement for the tower.

I also wish the current towers were even more competitively priced.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Alternatively, you could get something like an OWC FW drive, though I don't know how fast the iBook's FW bus is. The New PB has enough FW bandwidth to allow the drive to operate as fast as its hardware will allow, providing the bridge is good. Fortunately, Parallel to Serial conversion isn't the most difficult thing in the world, nor is buffering for FW &lt;--&gt; ATA compatibility, and the Oxford 911 chipset is quite good.

What you should do is bring your Quark CD to the Apple store and ask them if you can test it on an iBook. I bet they'll figure out some way to accomodate that.

As for the current towers, the dual 867 is pretty affordable: certainly less than the 17" iMac.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>