OS X will not boot up...how do I save my files?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been having some problems with my iMac for a while now, but it has finally stopped booting up at all. I've tried repairing permissions, using fsck, Disk utility, and I don't think there's much more I can do to fix it.

I tried doing an archive and install with my Panther CDs, but I got an error message. I am thinking I will need to erase everything and just install the OS again.

The only problem is, I want to save some of my files onto a different hard drive before I reinstall OS X. I don't know how to access them anymore. After the error message I got while trying to archive and install X, my 10.3.5 drive does not show up in the Startup Disk window. Can I retrieve the files somehow through OS 9? I know they are still somewhere, because my 80 GB drive is still mostly full.

I would really like to backup my iTunes library, and other various documents. If anyone knows how I could do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If your problem is directory damage - and not physical damage to your hard drive - you may be able to boot off an OS 9 CD and mount your drive that way. If that works, you could then copy your files to an external drive.

If you can buy or borrow a copy of Disk Warrior, it's worth a try. DW can sometimes fix directory damage that appears hopeless.

What model is your iMac and what kind of error message did you get when you tried to re-install the OS?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have an 800 mhz flat panel iMac. I did some searches in OS 9 and found most of my files that I want to save. When I tried to reinstall X, it simply said there was an error, and that I should try again.

Hopefully I can back up the files that I found, erase the drive, and install X successfully. Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by bibendum

I have an 800 mhz flat panel iMac. I did some searches in OS 9 and found most of my files that I want to save. When I tried to reinstall X, it simply said there was an error, and that I should try again.

Hopefully I can back up the files that I found, erase the drive, and install X successfully. Thanks for the help.

Hm. What about resetting PR-Ram?

How to:

Boot your Mac while holding "CMD", "Option", "P" and "R". The Mac will reboot after you heard the Startup Sound. Do it 3 times, just holding "PR". Perhaps...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by bibendum

I've been having some problems with my iMac for a while now, but it has finally stopped booting up at all. I've tried repairing permissions, using fsck, Disk utility, and I don't think there's much more I can do to fix it.

I tried doing an archive and install with my Panther CDs, but I got an error message. I am thinking I will need to erase everything and just install the OS again.

The only problem is, I want to save some of my files onto a different hard drive before I reinstall OS X. I don't know how to access them anymore. After the error message I got while trying to archive and install X, my 10.3.5 drive does not show up in the Startup Disk window. Can I retrieve the files somehow through OS 9? I know they are still somewhere, because my 80 GB drive is still mostly full.

I would really like to backup my iTunes library, and other various documents. If anyone knows how I could do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

What exactly is the error message that you get?

Also this has worked for me: when booting from the OSX install cd launch Terminal and start deleting files and directories until the installer will proceed.

I was able to keep my applications and User directories while replacing the system by that method when the installer otherwise wanted me to reformat the drive.