iMac G5 Hard disk

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I was recently forced to accept a 17inch iMac G5 instead of the 20Inch one, this is because the company ive ordered it from cant get hold of any until early next year. Basically we've got this scheme at work where they give you a new mac or pc and they deduct the monthly payments from your salary. I choose the 20inch iMac because it looks the dogs but have been told that they cant get hold of any until Feburary, apparantly they've ordered a few thousand of them and Apple can't meet the demand at the moment. Now this annoyed me slightly because i've only ever had a mac at work before and i was looking forward to getting one at home, can someone tell me why apple sees fit to spend millions on my local apple store (regents street) and cant even pull their finger out to get enough iMac's out to the public? After toying with the idea of getting another pc i decided to take the 17inch mac instead. (Can you tell i'm annoyed?)

Thing is the Hard disk in it is simply too small, i've read that it is a SATA 7200 rpm disk, would it be possible to swap it with any SATA 7200 disk? I've been looking at a 300gb Diamond Max, would this work without any major problems?

Thanks, please please help, i'm pulling my hair out here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You can use any 3.5" SATA hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ... and unlike previous iMacs, this one will be an EASY swap ... easy to get to.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    You can't blame apple for the iMac G5 shortage. They have all the parts in plentyful supply except the brain of the computer the G5 processor. When IBM took the PPC 970 and made it in the new 90 nm 970fx they ran into major problems with making it. They have since improved on the problem but, the G5 is still short in supply.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

You can't blame apple for the iMac G5 shortage. They have all the parts in plentyful supply except the brain of the computer the G5 processor. When IBM took the PPC 970 and made it in the new 90 nm 970fx they ran into major problems with making it. They have since improved on the problem but, the G5 is still short in supply.

Fair point but Apple can never expect to compete with the big boys whilst these sort of things happen. It might be down to IBM but at the end of the day I ordered my system on the 1st of November and have been told I will not be getting my hands on it until at the earliest Feburary next year. This is madness! I recently ordered an AMD Opteron based system (with custom options) from a local retailer and had it within a week. I understand sometimes there are problems with supplies but i would imagine apple are losing a number of customers because of these sort of delays.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I'm not quite sure the shortage is the G5 processor. After all, 17" models are everywhere but people are pining for the 20" model. I think there aren't enough 20" LCD screens available to meet demand.

The Apple store has the 17" 1.8GHz shipping in 1-3 days and the 20" 1.8GHz shipping in 3-5 days so the shortage couldn't be the G5, could it?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Just picked up a Western Digital Raptor. Varoom, Varooooom, thing spins faster then Hunter S Thompson on a acid frenzy.

Rotational Speed 10,000 RPM (nominal)

Buffer Size\t 8 MB

Average Latency\t 2.99 ms (nominal)

Contact Start/Stop Cycles\t20,000 minimum

Seek Times (Average)

Read Seek Time (Average)\t4.5 ms

Write Seek Time (Average)\t5.9 ms (average)

Track-To-Track Seek Time\t0.6 ms (average)

Full Stroke Seek\t 10.2 ms (average)

Transfer Rates

Buffer To Host (Serial ATA)\t150 MB/s (Max)

Buffer To Disk\t 72 MB/s (Sustained)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I havent had good experiences with WD hard disks. How big is it?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewLondon

I havent had good experiences with WD hard disks. How big is it?

It's only 74mb, but I have over 2.5 TB of NAD so it's mostly to compinsate for the sluggish performance of OSX(Aqua).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

It's only 74mb, but I have over 2.5 TB of NAD so it's mostly to compinsate for the sluggish performance of OSX(Aqua).

I've heard good things about people taking two of those Raptors and creating a RAID 0 stripe set.

What's NAD by the way?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I've heard good things about people taking two of those Raptors and creating a RAID 0 stripe set.

What's NAD by the way?

Network Attached Drive