Cpu Upgrade Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey people! Just wondering if you think I should go with the New 1.4Ghz OWC Mercury Extreme upgrade or the Powerlogix 7457 Series 100 1.4Ghz upgrade?

Both have the same speed except the 7457 runs 40% cooler and has double the L2 cache (512K). The OWC card sells for 389 and the Powerlogix one sells for 419. I know that the OWC card is far easier to overclock and install. Any ideas?

THANKS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    i'm pretty sure that the cache is a good buying point, and the lower running temp is a good thing too, but probably nothing to worry about unless you have all kinds of goodies on the inside producing their own heat. I would say to go with powerlogix, since there's more cache for a negligable price. But i'm sure there are a hundred people here that will disagree with me. try looking at bare feats and see if they have a comparison.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by macaddict74

Hey people! Just wondering if you think I should go with the New 1.4Ghz OWC Mercury Extreme upgrade or the Powerlogix 7457 Series 100 1.4Ghz upgrade?

Stay a very long way away from PowerLogix. From sad personal experince, their upgrades can have problems, and they are very problematic when it comes to support.

OWC on the other hand are spectacular - they actually helped me when PL refused to despite the fact they were not legally obligated to.