Hiding file extensions?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, I know this is a very stupid question, but I must be missing something.

I am trying to hide file extensions under my fiancé's account, but I just can't seem to get it working.

I have already gone under the Finder's preferences and unchecked "Show all File Extensions" -- nothing works

I have also went into the Get Info dialog of particular files and checked the Hide extension checkbox and no luck.

What am I doing wrong here? This is the first time I have tried messing with hiding file extensions on Mac OS X because I usually like to have them on.

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rara Posts: 623member
    tonton, there's a check box for this in each file's Get Info panel but there is also a global check box for the default behavior in the Finder's preferences.

If you uncheck "Show all file extensions" and then create a new file, does it then slap on the file extension? Also, if you check "Hide extension" in the Get Info panel does it not hide it? (I just noticed it doesn't hide it on my computer... wtf!?!?)

If all else fails try repairing permissions.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Creating new files leaves the extension off, but what about all the other files that were created before?

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Creating new files leaves the extension off, but what about all the other files that were created before?

Mike

Can you not just delete the extension, and the dot, and the system still remembers it? The document will still open the same and will remain unaltered, but you can't see the extension.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yes, this works. But my question is simply how to toggle this option on/off for all files. I mean, they have the options available, but how do you make them work?

Mike
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Yes, this works. But my question is simply how to toggle this option on/off for all files. I mean, they have the options available, but how do you make them work?

Try Tinkertool (freeware).