Min OS X requirements (in terms of $)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new computer. I dont have alot of cash, because I really want to go all out with the next major proccessor revitioin sometime in 2003 (hopefully) I currently own a PM 8500, upgraded to 300mhz g3, surprisingly it's lasted me a long time 5 years or so. I just want alittle more power for the next year, and something that'll run os X somewhat smoothly. It's just hard finding the machine I want. I'm pretty sure I want a tower. A B&W will run X, but does anyone do this on a daily basis? does it require 512meg of ram to run well? I'm might be able to buy a Yikes g4 from someone real cheap, but how cheap? $400? that'd be hot but I dont see it happening. But if I'm going to get a G4, why not get one with agp throw a 32meg card in there and use QE to make X alittle more responsive.

So what I'm looking for is suggestions to purchase. I'm a graphic designer by day, mostly internet user at home, though do some photoshop stuff, amature photography, etc.

Also where do I got about buying a good used machine, does apple refurbish older machines at all? or just newish? the dual 867 at $1499 refurb was pretty tempting, but about double what i want to spend. i dont mind buying a machine with minimum ram HD, actually would perfer it. Also if you have stories abotu buying used machines please feel free, I'm on my second first was a Centris 660av, now the 8500 (okay refurb, but used)

- thanks guys

Valis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well, if you're going to get a used or refurb'd G4 tower, I'd go with one that has the 4X AGP graphics capabilities. Then you would be able to swap out the card for the Quartz Extreme in OS X. Where to go though? Small Dog Electronics, perhaps?
  • Reply 2 of 9
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You need not buy a PowerMac with 4X AGP just to use Quartz Extreme. My PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet has 2X AGP with a 32 MB Radeon and it works great. 4X AGP (and also the faster 133 MHz bus on all Macs that have 4X AGP) will increase speed a bit and make your computer more useful for longer, but for basic stuff it's fine. Two common misconceptions though:

1. 4X AGP isn't twice as fast/good as 2X AGP. It just has twice the bandwidth. I've heard it's between 30 and 50% faster.

2. All AGP graphics cards will work in all AGP slots. If you put an old AGP Rage 128 in an 8X AGP slot, it'll work. If you put a brand new GeForce4 Titanium in a 2X AGP slot, it'll work (even though the maximum throughput might be capped off by the more limited bandwidth of the 2X AGP). You don't have to make sure that newer cards are "compatible" with 2X AGP.

I'd say the best computer to use as a holdover until you get a no-holds-barred system would be as cheap a G4 as you can afford, preferably an AGP version. It's the best combination of speed and price, offering smooth performance in OS X for most applications along with low prices (often under $800).

However, if you want to go cheaper, you could get a blue and white G3 for $300-$500. They've come down in price a lot since the new PowerMacs were introduced. My brother has one and although it's not super fast in OS X, it's acceptable. Generally a G4 processor will speed things up a lot in OS X, even without Quartz Extreme. My mom's blue G3 upgraded with a G4 processor is very smooth in OS X, yet my brother's blue G3 with the same factory-stock graphics card and a G3 processor instead of a G4 will sometimes get a bit choppy on some more demanding OS X effects.

It just depends on your needs. If you want the bare minimum system that will run OS X, you could use XPostFacto to put it on your computer. Natively, the earliest that supports it is the beige G3. The blue G3 is generally a good minimum system that'll run OS X well, because it was the first system with a really good graphics card that's still useful today. G4s with AGP are the next level up.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You'll have a hellaofatime trying to get a reasonably priced mac off eBay. People just bid those things up to stupid levels.

Do you really need to move to X ??? Why not just stay with OS9 and see how MWSF turns out. Then buy the new mac when a decent offering finally arrives.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    eBay's really risky when it comes to computers. I'd avoid it.

If you want a new machine, I'd look at the iBook or eMac. You can get a decent portable for $999, and a really nice one for $1299. For a desktop, the eMac is sweet (if heavy) and you can get one for $1099.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Why don't you just squeeze a little more life out of your computer by putting a G4 upgrade card into it? Then when you want to get a new computer next year you can take out the upgrade pieces, sell them seperately, and sell your 8500. You can get a G4 up to 800mhz for your 8500. Then again, the $120 that you would spend on 10.2 could have been put towards your new G4... your call...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    If, as you say, this machine is only to last you for some specific time, and you really don't have much money to buy it: Get a Sawtooth G4. Doesn't matter if it's a 400, 450 or 500 MHz model, really, just make sure you have 512 MB of RAM (it's dirt cheap again, isn't it). Why put a new graphics card in there? Just to see QE in effect? Rather put the money in some more RAM.

Then be happy with that machine until sometime next year, when we're all happily buying 'the wonderful machine', whatever it'll be.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Get a used iBook.

That way, when it comes time to buy the G5, you'll have a portable Mac, as well.