.AAC or .MP3 to Polyphonic ringtone?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What is the best way for a Mac user to go about creating a polyphonic ringtone from an .AAC or .MP3 file?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Ringtones require musical notation, like a MIDI file. You have to code in the notes by hand or with a MIDI controller using a sequencer to create a MIDI file first. You can't simply convert an audio file to a music notation file.

no they don't

i use qualcomm purevoice files just fine. all i do is convert my mp4 or mp3 to purevoice and upload to my phone

midi files are so 90s :P
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Then it's not a "polyphonic" ringtone, now, is it? (Yes, I know, it has more than one voice, but that's not what "polyphonic" has meant in the music industry, ever.) It's a sampled recording. Why did the mobile phone industry change a common definition? Now how are they supposed to differentiate between polyphonic (MIDI) ringtones, and sampled ringtones? They should have used another description (and the name "purevoice" is stupid).

well, none the less, it works.

i think purevoice was developed beforehand for digital voice communication so it makes sense. just happens that's the codec mobile carriers chose to adopt.

they sound pretty good when done right. there is actually a website that i cant remember right now that allows you to upload an MP3...it converts it...and uploads to your phone.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Some companies are now calling this 'SuperPolyphonic ringtones.' I don't know what format the files are, though.