The Ibook Antfarm...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While scowering Net Newswire Lite i came across this weblog from Boing Boing:

Has anyone had this problem? I hope not . . . After the first rain of the year, the ants outside were restless (and homeless). My wife had left her ibook on the mantle charging overnight. The next morning we noticed a large number of ants milling around it. Upon inspection we discovered ants crawling in and out of every hole in the computer. I grabbed my can of compressed air and started blowing! To my horror hundreds of ants started pouring out carrying eggs! I knew this was bad. I took the computer out to the garage and completely disassembled the thing layer by layer . My stomach turned when I exposed the main circuit board and saw thousand of ant and eggs (and a queen or two), writhing across every inch! Argh! After several hours with a vacuum and a can of air I finally got the thing clean. I put it back together (only a few extra screws) and luckily it works fine. Any theories on why ants would decide to move an entire colony into an ibook? Warmth? Sweet circuit boards? I think they were attempting to colonize the ultimate frontier: cyberspace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by dmgeist:

<strong>While scowering Net Newswire Lite i came across this weblog from Boing Boing:

Has anyone had this problem? I hope not . . . After the first rain of the year, the ants outside were restless (and homeless). My wife had left her ibook on the mantle charging overnight. The next morning we noticed a large number of ants milling around it. Upon inspection we discovered ants crawling in and out of every hole in the computer. I grabbed my can of compressed air and started blowing! To my horror hundreds of ants started pouring out carrying eggs! I knew this was bad. I took the computer out to the garage and completely disassembled the thing layer by layer . My stomach turned when I exposed the main circuit board and saw thousand of ant and eggs (and a queen or two), writhing across every inch! Argh! After several hours with a vacuum and a can of air I finally got the thing clean. I put it back together (only a few extra screws) and luckily it works fine. Any theories on why ants would decide to move an entire colony into an ibook? Warmth? Sweet circuit boards? I think they were attempting to colonize the ultimate frontier: cyberspace.</strong><hr></blockquote>

jesus. ever seen "pi" ?

• Reply 2 of 3
    Article up at slashdot.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ants follow chemical 'pheromone" traces (which is why they tend to walk the same path)

perhaps the secret "Apple RDF" scent-chip built to entice switchers has been discovered

not just "new computer" smell, it's Mac mojo, baby

edit: furman, fairymoan, pheromone!

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>