Help! DSL->files but not web pages

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've found that many share this problem: at times my connection just sucks when it shouldn't. It hovers around 70 Kb/s which is normal for idle, and refuses to load normal web pages at anything above 5 Kb/s (5 minutes for google!!). I'm using 10.2.6 on an ibook with nearly a third of my HD empty. I've reset Safari 1.0, the machine, etc.

I think it isn't the DSL provider because I can download movies and audio perfectly at my maximum speed (NetMonitor clocks it at 250 Kb/s, 100 over the rate I pay for).

On the other hand it might just be them, since my normal service has miraculously been reestablished at about the same time two nights in a row...

But why then this difference between web pages and files?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

<edit>I didn't even remember having posted here about this problem in the past. No one had anything to say then, either, except one that had the same problem as me. is it that it's so obvious that it isn't worth answering or is it really just one of those things that are impossible to troubleshoot without being here in person?...http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...50#post700650.<edit/>

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You might try shutting down all the hardware and then starting it up again. That has cleared some odd speed problems for us in the past. I also had one odd problem where internet access worked fine and I could receive mail but not send it. This was cleared when a tech at the ISP reset our account. Not the same problem you see but definitely an odd problem that was fixed by the ISP.

Do you have a non-fixed IP address? Have you monitored it? Perhaps things work fine for a while after it resets and then things get gummed up? If you can show that the problem is related to changes in the IP address the ISP tech might be more willing to work with you. It may help you get past all the basic questions (Is the machine turned on? What version of windows are you running? Do you have a cable connected to this computer?).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Do you have a non-fixed IP address? Have you monitored it?

Is the only way to find out by periodically checking? Whenever I need to I usually use a web site. I assume this is a reliable way to check it.

Quote:

the basic questions (Is the machine turned on? What version of windows are you running? Do you have a cable connected to this computer?).

Yeah, unfortunately these folks out here haven't ever seen a Mac much less support them, and they just tell me it's my exotic system, and can't do anything about it. I'm pretty sure my address's fixed, though.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I see a number stray, I'll give them a call right away.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Do you have more than one machine on your DSL connection? Since you have tested both Safari and Explorer and have the same problem then it is either another machine on your home network sucking up your bandwidth or your ISP or the sites that you are trying to get to. You might want to download firefox so you can use another browser to test with. You might also want to run Activity Monitor ( from your utilities ) to see if anything on your machine might be slowing you down.

reg