help me cure an ailing tibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello. I purchased my 800 TiBook almost 2.5 years ago. It's not doing too well these days. My main problem w/ it is that it's lost all its potential mobility. It freezes unless I use it on a sturdy desk, resting w/ only the back two feet on cd jewel cases, and the front two feet suspended a half inch above the desk. If i use it on a bed/comforter, it freezes. If I use it on my knees/lap, it freezes. If I even pick it up the wrong way and the computer sort of flexes (you'll remember these 15" Ti's were pretty floppy machines), it freezes as well. I'm going to be living abroad for half of this upcoming year and would like to get it into at least better shape. does anyone know what's wrong w/ it? It seems to me that there's something wrong w/ it's airflow/cooling system, but that could be way off. Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

~felipe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Tell us more.

Does it freeze as soon as you flex it? or does it take some time?

Does the machine recover from the freeze when you move it to a flat surface? or does it require a restart?

This kind of info might ring bells with someone.

As a guess I'm going for an instant freeze with no recovery:

The first thing I'd do is check the ram is properly seated, followed by the airport card if you have one, then the motherboard connectors. It could well be that something removeable is loose and moving around when the machine flexes.

I have no experience of the result if ram or airport were "removed" while the machine was in use but I'd bet it's not good..
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by vaultingat

Hello. ...

~felipe

Another question, did this bad "behavior" occur all of a sudden, or was it a slow process, occured from time to time, and now it is unbearable because it is the State?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hi. Thanks for the help.

Does it freeze as soon as you flex it? or does it take some time?

-as soon as I flex it.

Does the machine recover from the freeze when you move it to a flat surface? or does it require a restart?

-no, has never recovered from a freeze before. however, if it's playing music while it freezes, it starts looping one short segment, then if I pick up the computer/move it/flex it more, i can sometimes advance the little segment it's looping by a second or two.

Where do I check the motherboard connectors?

Another question, did this bad "behavior" occur all of a sudden, or was it a slow process, occured from time to time, and now it is unbearable because it is the State?

-I can't completely remember. I feel like one day I was just trying to use my computer while laying on my bed and it wouldn't stay on for more than a few minutes. ever since that, it's never been the same...