TV Purchasing Research & Advice

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My parents have charged me with finding them a 42" flat panel tv for around 2k. They want it to have a small stand and built in speakers. I've seen a few around this price range, but have no idea how to tell what's good. Was wondering if anyone knows a site I can research the various models or if anyone here is knowledgeable enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks, t.fall

Comments

• Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

My parents have charged me with finding them a 42" flat panel tv for around 2k. They want it to have a small stand and built in speakers. I've seen a few around this price range, but have no idea how to tell what's good. Was wondering if anyone knows a site I can research the various models or if anyone here is knowledgeable enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks, t.fall

You've got two choices in that size,

plasma and rear projection.

Ive seen a 42" plasma at wal-mart for around 1500, and costco have this one http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rPath=79*3314*

Im not personally taken with the quality of plasma, these cheap ones in particular only have 480 lines, making any hdtv a bit of a misnomer ( they will only do 480 progressive, and downscale higher quality signals ). On top of that Ive found the actual image they produce to be mediocre ( expensive plasmas are better ).

I really like rear projection in that price bracket,

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...tion_42to51TVs

The cons of rear projection are veiwing angle and brightness, but that Sony is very nice. They are also basically a front projector in a box, so they require bulb replacement every few thousand hours. Plasma screens have a brightness half life as well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the advice all. I'll post what model I wind up getting them.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sony has the best high end HD tv's right now. they're expensive, but have a great viewing angle and best picture quality (no artifacts, etc).