will a gig ram help a pb 550 in X

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all, just a quick question.

I just brought my ti 550 (512 ram) at work into the world of jag. While I am so happy to be rid on the horrors of 9, i am noticing its kinda slow (im used to running jag on a 933 at home) and i get the spinning beach ball of doom semi-often. For reg web stuff and such its fine, but when im going full speed with photoshop(print quality files), illustrator, and dreamweaver through out the day, it chugs a bit, esp. switching btween apps. Havent done a final cut session yet, but im sure that will run better than the adobe appz. My question is, if i up it to a gig of ram how much improvement will i see. I mean i know what more ram will do to photoshop and such, but how much will it affect my over all osx enviorment

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Absolutely--a gig of RAM makes my Ti500 a pretty clean ride.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    the more RAM, the better. 640MB on a g3/400 pismo is usable. 256 is not.

I currently have a 500Mhz PBG4 with 512. I would go to 768, (currently 2x 256) but I'm getting a new machine pretty soon, so to hell with that.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Sell it, anything under 1.6 ghz and 2 gigs of ram will run OSX at a snails pace. Oh wait.....
  • Reply 4 of 12
    General rule of thumb with RAM is to buy as much as you can afford. It can't hurt, and OS X like to put stuff in memory. It's all cool like that
  • Reply 5 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I doubt it will help that much. I doubt the bottle neck on that system is the memory. If your running with free RAM now, having still yet more free RAM wont to crap for you.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>I doubt it will help that much. I doubt the bottle neck on that system is the memory. If your running with free RAM now, having still yet more free RAM wont to crap for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok stupid question, where can i see in osx how much mem apps are using? With the whore that photoshop is i bet just having it open uses 512

Oh and i can afford how ever much i tell my company i'm buying but i dont want to wast money on ram for no reason, I could just push for a new machine instead

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    nevermind, "top" duh : )

so with ichat, mail, photoshop (w/ 150 dpi jpeg loaded), dreamweaver, ie, acrobat, textedit, and classic running word 98 (don't ask) im looking at 414megs used 98megs free. In this state if i go and try to open a 300 dpi 52 meg psd i run out of ram immediately before it even opens , and when i cancel opening the file, avalible ram stays at 8.93m free. So all in all I need more ram, or a 1.25 dual, hope my boss is in a good mood tomorrow
  • Reply 8 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    edit... nevermind

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    im a little confused how the memory works, ex. when i open photoshop right now (w/no file) resident mem size is 45.5megs, and virtual mem size is 142 megs, and i have 165megs free. I dont get why virtual mem is so high when i have mem free. In any case if i go up to a gig programs will use less virtual memory so aplications and such should run faster? am i right?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    im running a pb ti 800 with 1gb ram & its still

slow at times...(10.2.2 is a lot better than

10.1.5)

yup ram helps..so add in as much as you can

it will never feel as snappy as win2k simply

beacuse the aqua layer has way too much overhead

at this point.(bmp vs vector displays)

as the patches come & they clean it up

it will speed up....meanwhile adding ram

and /or switching to a higher cpu are your only

options at this point

also generally laptops are not as zippy as

desktop (hdd /bus speed etc etc)

so you will see the beachball/hourglass regardless

of osx or win2k if using a laptop

hope that helps
  • Reply 11 of 12
    If you have a PowerMac Don't get 2GB, get 1.80GB Rounded, I'v had about 8 different PowerMac's actually decrease performance with 2 GB. For PowerBook, try to max out. Ibook, Max out, iMac G4 almost max, out but not all the way. Xserve, also max out.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Why would maxing-out the PowerMac to 2GB cause the system to decrease in performance? Also, you say to max-out the Xserve (which also has a 2GB limit), but is it not true that the new PowerMac and the Xserve have the same DDR memory controller on the motherboard? I'm just confused as to why you couldn't hit the memory limit on the new machines...