Auto Cad 2005 LT runs on Virtual PC 7 on 20" iMac, I am donig it right now!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My iMac came into today 20", 1.8 ghz, G5, 1 gig ram, 160 gig hdd.

I loaded MS Office 2004 and VPC 7 that came with office. 1 hour later, windows even installs faster on my new and first Mac ;-) , I have Auto Cad 2005 LT running with very little lag.

I will not lie an say it is all that and a bag of cookies, but it is pretty dang close!!!! It is enough for me to say that I would use it at home with no hesitation!! I will have to do some more testing before I will say it is fast enough for work. Menu's are virtually instant, I would guess most AC users wouldn't even know the difference in full screen mode.

If I knew how to upload a screen shot using Grab, I would do it.

I'm pumped!!

First mac ever and what a day!! I installed XP pro, AC 2005 LT and I haven't had one crash yet (in Windows).

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by aplnub

You appear to be exactly the person we are looking for. We are interested in running Autocad under emulation on a new iMac G5 as you are doing. Has your experience been a good one? Are things running well? Have you experienced any problems?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking the time to assist.

Bob Meyers
  • Reply 2 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Hello! I thought this would be a hot topic but I was wrong. This was a real hang up for me when swapping to a Mac at my house. In fact, I have a Dell M60 notebook and 2004 LT just for home use in case this didn't work.

Starting the program up takes a little time, maybe 15 seconds. So it is not instant. Once the program is up and running, I have yet to experience a problem. Text editing, mtext, area calculations, command line and mouse drawing seem to work fine. I have not print from it yet.

The only drawback so far is that the mouse arrow you are used to seeing in apples hangs around over the cross hairs in Auto Cad. If you can get past that then you are going to be ok. The lag is minimum but you can tell AC isn't following you instantly. My wife coulnd't tell a difference but I use it daily. I would reccomend it at this time if you are going to use it. Printing to a printer might be a different story. Since I don't have my DesignJet at home, I will nexer test the printer ability to a 42" wide printer. However, I will do some testing on my Epson R300 for you and respond back on Monday night. I will do a drawing from start to finish and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your interest! This will probably push a lot of people over the hump.

I will also get a screen shot up on my website so you can view the arrow over the crosshair deal and see what kind of drawings I do. Now that I have MS Frontpage working on my mac in windows, I can throw up the screen shot fast. Btw, Frontpage is painfully slow on typing text into it. It flat out sucks but gets me by on what I need to do at home for work. I use my Dell for my personal website. I have Adobe CS on the way for my iMac so I may be making the swap all together.

Eric
  • Reply 3 of 16
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

The only drawback so far is that the mouse arrow you are used to seeing in apples hangs around over the cross hairs in Auto Cad.

Yeah, I saw this bug introduced in the VPC 5 --> VPC 6 transition. I'd hoped a different install of Windows, VPC or Autocad would make it go away, but I guess not (I'm running Win98 with Auocad r.14).
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    You don't by any chance use ArcGIS? Would be interested to know how that works in VPC. Are they any good Mac GIS apps that are as powerful and compatible?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yes, we run ARC View/GIS at work. I may have my brother try that out here. I doubt that program would run worth a crap though. We have it set up on a two monitor computer at work and it is pretty demanding.

AutoCad update

The drawing aspect runs fine except for one detail. The moust pointer takes a lot of getting use too. This leads to some grab problems unless you incrase the box on the cross hairs. Sometimes there is a small lag when using the properties dialog box on an object to change properties. The menu's usually open immediately but sometimes lag just a bit.

I would suggest 1 gig of ram at the least but I am already considering replacing one of my 512 sticks with a 1 gig'er to up me to 1.5 gig of ram. I would like to see this on a dual G5 powermac.

Eric

www.bargerandsons.com
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Update 3.132005

I just got through loading AutoCad 2004 LT on my 12" iBook G4.

The specs on my iBook are as follows:

80 gig Hdd

1.25 gig ram

1.2 ghz G4

2004 runs well. Like my iMac, I woulnd't want to draw on it all day but makeing changes and even drawing a small project in a pinch would be considered "good enough". I wish they would fix the cursor but I will deal with it.

Regards,

Eric
  • Reply 7 of 16
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I wish Autocad would just come back to mac!!!

I also have a 20 inch imac but dont have virtual PC so I havnt been able to test my copy of Autocad on it. Some of the work I use it for though slows down with a top of the line PC with 2GB of ram and 3Ghz processors so I doubt it would function very well for that large of projects.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I have a 20" imac with 2ghz dual core engine on 512 ram and i'm thinking of buying VPC7 because i want to use autocad on my mac.....does anybody had any issue on 3D objects?....or rendering time?...how long does it take?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tholightz

I have a 20" imac with 2ghz dual core engine on 512 ram and i'm thinking of buying VPC7 because i want to use autocad on my mac.....does anybody had any issue on 3D objects?....or rendering time?...how long does it take?

VPC7 does not run on Intel Macs. You'll need Parallels and a LOT more RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Why are you running AutoCAD anyway? That's the better question.

Sooooo many better alternatives exist. I can't think of a 2D drafting program that is worse than AutoCAD. "Industry Standard" holds no weight either, since everyone uses DXF/DWG format quite fluently.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef

VPC7 does not run on Intel Macs. You'll need Parallels and a LOT more RAM.

yeah....i heard of of parallels for mac....but do i really need more RAM?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Why are you running AutoCAD anyway? That's the better question.

Sooooo many better alternatives exist. I can't think of a 2D drafting program that is worse than AutoCAD. "Industry Standard" holds no weight either, since everyone uses DXF/DWG format quite fluently.

I'm a architect and at the same time a graphic designer....yup...there's a lot more better applications than autocad that runs on mac but my work is more into 3D and i don't have the money yet to invest on more expensive 3D softwares for mac like MAYA and cinema 4D
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Well, I saw another thread on another forum from someone running Autocad 2005 on a 1 year only PC and a new iMac running Parallels with XP SP2. He performed various speed tests, including full render with all the bells and whistles turned on. The iMac running Parallels completed the render first.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Yes. 2GB is what I'd recommend.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    i have a PowerMac (PowerPC G5) and an iBook (PowerPC G3), and i'm planning on running Autocad 2002 on VPC 7.0 and windows 2000professional (most probably on the G5 mac). i've read somewhere that the windows version affects/influences the performance of autocad. has anyone had experience or heard about this. thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghndz

i have a PowerMac (PowerPC G5) and an iBook (PowerPC G3), and i'm planning on running Autocad 2002 on VPC 7.0 and windows 2000professional (most probably on the G5 mac). i've read somewhere that the windows version affects/influences the performance of autocad. has anyone had experience or heard about this. thanks!

Why not sell both and get an Intel iMac, Mac Pro or Macbook Pro?

The MBP might be the best given that you essentially get a G5 on the go. This way you can run autocad at full speed using Parallels.

Quote:

You definitely need at least 1GB. I run it with 1GB just fine.

Btw, did anyone notice how old this thread is?