Apple Sales

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know where I would find apple computer sales. I am working on a statistics project for my math class, and my hypothesis is that the more viruses come out for Windows, the more Apple's sales go up. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Bump
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You have to find their quarterly earning reports available in pdf form from Apple.com. Go to the investing section I believe there's a link from apple.com/pr
  • Reply 3 of 20
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Wow, that was depressing.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I take anything from Lord Baldrick with the same gravity as anything from Paul Thurrott. I'm sure he went to some lengths to represent Apple in the poorest possible light.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Even analysts concede that removing business purchases from overall PC sales, Apple's worldwide market share is only about 3.5%.

I think things are starting to look up for Apple and they are attracting attention. An IT coworker of mine just picked up his first Apple, a 20" iMac with BT keyboard & mouse.

I showed my supervisor that iBooks can be had for $700 online and she was quite surprised. After discussing possible uses, I think she'll end up with the SuperDrive eMac.

Looks like I'm going to be Mr. AnswerMan for my Apple newbie coworkers.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Wow, that was depressing.

Only sort of. Comparing Apple vs. every other manufacturer doesn't really give much useful information about viability or survivability of the Mac platform--and will inevitably look bad. It's kind of like judging a professional football team by their percentage of total wins in all the games played in the NFL.

A breakdown of Apple vs. Dell vs eMachines vs. Gateway vs. an extremely long list of others, would tell you much more about how Apple is doing. Also, you would need to look at price point and profit margin for various machines. I think, if you took all that together, you'd see Dell is crushing everybody, and Apple is doing above average with sales and profit.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I'm sure he went to some lengths to represent Apple in the poorest possible light.

Why?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Has Lord Baldrick ever approached Apple any other way?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    dj,

i think you are making a fatal flaw in your analysis. instead of apple versus a specific manufacturer you should be comparing ppc to x86.

in this scenerio x86 has a huge marketshare and developers will develop for it.

sofware always drives hardware and never the other way around.

chung lee
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Has Lord Baldrick ever approached Apple any other way?

Yes. At the very least, he owns an iBook that he claims to enjoy using.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Really? Hm, maybe he's more of a fatalist than a provacateur then.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Does anyone know what program Jeremy Reimer used to make that graph. Any help is great, guys. Keep up te good work.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IsThisOneTaken

Does anyone know what program Jeremy Reimer used to make that graph. Any help is great, guys. Keep up te good work.

Looks like MS Excel to me. If it was done in Windows in a program that can function as an OLE server then it could've been the MS Chart module, but most likely it was MS Excel.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    And even if it wasn't Excel, it could be done using Excel.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

dj,

i think you are making a fatal flaw in your analysis. instead of apple versus a specific manufacturer you should be comparing ppc to x86.

in this scenerio x86 has a huge marketshare and developers will develop for it.

sofware always drives hardware and never the other way around.

chung lee

I see your point, but I still think that even ppc vs x86 is too broad to indicate the viability of the mac platform. And that's all that matters to me. Mac will never be the prominent platform, I've known that for years. The question is, can they compete and grow by creating a profitable niche.

There are still enough macs sold every quarter, and enough still in use, to make a profitable business on Mac software. Apple themselves is helping by creating application like Final Cut and DVD Studio that really use the Macs strengths to their advantage.

And even the x86 market needs to be broken down, between AMD and Intel, and their server, consumer, and mainstream chip sets. The business of computers, and how you make money at it, is just a lot more complex than just breaking down the percentages of computers sold that are Macs.

Apple knows that, and so far they are profiting from it. Even Wall-street finally seems to be understanding that Apple doesn't have to beat Microsoft or Intel, just find a comfortable way to coexist profitably.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    2004\t 2003\t2002 \t(Units)

PowerMac\t 709\t 667\t 766\t

PowerBook 785\t 604\t 357\t

iMac \t916\t 1094\t1301\t

iBook\t 880\t 647\t677\t

iPod\t 4416\t 939\t381
  • Reply 18 of 20
    oops, formatting sucked. Let me know what you want in an email (I'm currently doing a financial statement analysis for an accounting class).

sworthington @ ups . edu

check out my post at macnn for details: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=237376
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    The way I'd like to look at it theres the PC market and theres the Mac market. There is no point comparing the two. It's like comparing the car market to the motor bike market. They both are forms of transport but an increase in the sale of cars does not really mean motorbikes are going down the pan. They both serve different needs. It's in its own ecosystem!

I belive that sales of Mac are normally steady or slowly growing. PC sales are just increasing faster, but this could just show the reality that PC's are replaced more often?

What is the better business model, sell less quality machines and make more profit, or sell loads of machine making next to no profit?

One other interesting thing you could look at is to why Apple seems to have more of the Mindshare compared to it's "Marketshare". Apple seems to be more of a leader in introducing new ideas and tech than most PC manufactures.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

The way I'd like to look at it theres the PC market and theres the Mac market. There is no point comparing the two. It's like comparing the car market to the motor bike market. They both are forms of transport but an increase in the sale of cars does not really mean motorbikes are going down the pan. They both serve different needs. It's in its own ecosystem!

I belive that sales of Mac are normally steady or slowly growing. PC sales are just increasing faster, but this could just show the reality that PC's are replaced more often?

What is the better business model, sell less quality machines and make more profit, or sell loads of machine making next to no profit?

One other interesting thing you could look at is to why Apple seems to have more of the Mindshare compared to it's "Marketshare". Apple seems to be more of a leader in introducing new ideas and tech than most PC manufactures.

What is worse is turning it into an "or" question when it doesn't need to be so.

PC makers have saturated the market. Apple has not, but in a way they have. PC makers have to deal with the fact that of everyone who is going to buy a PC, just about everybody has one not only at home, but at work. They can only sell replacements at this point or get someone to replace a desktop with a laptop which has better margins.

Apple has not encountered this to any degree unless you believe they have "saturated" everyone who is willing to buy a Mac. They only have two percent of the pie and a pretty compelling reason to grow that pie. The reality though is that Apple doesn't compete.

Nick