Hiding Folders and Files

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to "hide" a folder or a file in Mac OS X? I created an alias to Microsoft User Data in my Documents folder (since the blasted suite won't just let me move it where I want it!) and I was wondering if I could hide it from view now. Currently I'm using a grey label on it to remind me that it's not really a folder with any Documents in it.

I keep my Documents folder in my dock (constantly working on projects and such) and it's really a nuisance to have a folder in there that I never access. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you can rename the file, using the terminal to put a period in front of the name will by default make the finder not show the file. You can't do this through the Finder as it actively prevents this (a good idea).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

If you can rename the file, using the terminal to put a period in front of the name will by default make the finder not show the file. You can't do this through the Finder as it actively prevents this (a good idea).

That might not be a good idea for the Microsoft User Data folder, though. Word, Entourage, etc. all read from that folder and those programs might not know where to go if they're hidden.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Try this.

(You may have to relaunch the Finder for the invisibilty to take effect.)

You can still access these folders via the Terminal or Go to Folder... in the Finder's Go menu.