Language support

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello there.

I need to get support for Albanian language in OS X. However, its not listed in the International list of supported languages under system preferences. I don't know quite why, since its a language spoken by roughly 10 million people, and there are languages listed there that are not even nearly as spoken as Albanian, but I guess that does not matter now.

What matters now is me finding a way to switch my keyboard from English US (default) to Albanian.

Albanian is a language written in latin characters/letters and is pretty straight forward with some exceptions. Letters I need to display correctly (they don't even display in OS X, they display either as some fuzzy characters or a "?"), are as follows:

1. ë

2. ç

If anyone could help, I would be a very happy camper

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well those are easy.

ë = opt-u, e

ç = opt-c
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Kickaha, first of, thank you.

But I was wondering, would it be possible to change my entire keyboard layout, so when I click ; i get and when I click [ I get ç? I've done this in Windows XP, and it saves me a lot of time and effort.

See I translate a lot of text between languages, and a lot of it involves Albanian. So, constantly clicking those combinations doesn't seem very feasible to me... although, it is a solution, if one needs to use it once or twice.

So, I was wondering if there is anything I can install to achieve support for switching my keyboard layout from English to Albanian and back whenever I needed to?

Now in Windows this is easy, but I don't want to be forced to use Windows because of this.

Thanks a lot for you answer, your help is appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Have you taken a look in the International System Pref? Look under Input Menu. I don't see an Albanian, but there are a ton of Central European and Cyrillic keyboards in there - perhaps one will give you the characters you want? Check the 'Show Input Menu' item to have fast access to switching the keyboards.

BTW, there's an Albanian region in the Formats tab, so maybe I'm not seeing the keyboard layout because I stripped out most international support long ago to save some disk space.