iPod Mini: Any hints for future model?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My 20GB rev 2 iPod is all but dead (audio out jack is broke and would cost too much to fix), So I'm looking to buy a new iPod. Gonna wait till after the holidays in hopes of new models being released or better deals on the current ones. But, I'm torn between getting a mini and a regular iPod. I have well over 20GB of music. I'd have more if my iPod now wasn't 20GB. So, having a 40 or even 60 GB iPod would be very nice. However, I realize i miss my iPod most when I'm working out or in the car or going on a trip. And I usually just listen to my plugged in iPod when at home. So, I'm thinking that having a mini may be nice.

But 4GB is too small. I was trying to find some information online about advancements in 1 inch hard drives and couldn't find much. I know there is now a 5 GB drive but that's still relatively small.

Is there any sign that we may be seeing a 10GB iPod mini soon? Any word on new drives being developed and a timeframe? I'm very tempted to just get a mini for christmas since I'm getting impatient from not hearing any new info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    there isn't a 10 gig drive in that size.

a 5 gig upgraded mini some time soon is a safe bet. But the tech isn't there for bigger.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    so there hasn't been any reports of breaking that 5GB disk limit yet huh

Tonton,

yea, 2 would be nice. but, in a way that's why I'm interested in the mini. the 20GB broke iPod serves my home needs alright. Although I do wish it was able to output audio via firewire.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    There's a guy who'll fix the headphone jack for $75. Seems to be a common problem. I don't have the link but I saw it in one of these forums. But if you don't want to bother, I'm sure you can find someone to take it off your hands...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

There's a guy who'll fix the headphone jack for $75. Seems to be a common problem. I don't have the link but I saw it in one of these forums. But if you don't want to bother, I'm sure you can find someone to take it off your hands...

yea, i sent it to him. according to him, some board is loose and therefore the entire motherboard would need to be switched. which he would charge 250 bucks for. how that price makes sense I have no idea. needless to say i had him ship it back and just use it as a portable hard drive of my iTunes library
  • Reply 5 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Would it be asking too much for Apple to throw in an AM/FM tuner? Not so much into listening to regurgitated pop, but news and talk radio would be nice.

Surely it can't add much to the current size.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Would it be asking too much for Apple to throw in an AM/FM tuner? Not so much into listening to regurgitated pop, but news and talk radio would be nice.

Surely it can't add much to the current size.

uh,oh...it's been awhile since this has been brought up!

i think Apple will just leave that w/ 3rd party developers. Theres a few headphone AM/FM tuners for the iPod being sold, though i don't remember any of the manufacturers.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Can you take a picture of how the jack broke out? I bet you if the damage isn't too bad I could fix it for you for free. I'm used to modifying electronics probably a $2 photojack and 30 minutes of soldering would repair the damage. Take some photos and I can tell you.

Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

My 20GB rev 2 iPod is all but dead (audio out jack is broke and would cost too much to fix), So I'm looking to buy a new iPod. Gonna wait till after the holidays in hopes of new models being released or better deals on the current ones. But, I'm torn between getting a mini and a regular iPod. I have well over 20GB of music. I'd have more if my iPod now wasn't 20GB. So, having a 40 or even 60 GB iPod would be very nice. However, I realize i miss my iPod most when I'm working out or in the car or going on a trip. And I usually just listen to my plugged in iPod when at home. So, I'm thinking that having a mini may be nice.

But 4GB is too small. I was trying to find some information online about advancements in 1 inch hard drives and couldn't find much. I know there is now a 5 GB drive but that's still relatively small.

Is there any sign that we may be seeing a 10GB iPod mini soon? Any word on new drives being developed and a timeframe? I'm very tempted to just get a mini for christmas since I'm getting impatient from not hearing any new info.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Can you take a picture of how the jack broke out? I bet you if the damage isn't too bad I could fix it for you for free. I'm used to modifying electronics probably a $2 photojack and 30 minutes of soldering would repair the damage. Take some photos and I can tell you.

on a slightly related note: does anyone know of people/places/sites that are involved with hardware hacking ipods? Messing with the DAC, audio amps, digital out etc. Guess I could search.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    I like the little one, but I think Apple would differenciate it by making the case different.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    More power. longer battery.