Random Server Disconnects

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is a problem I?ve had for some time on different systems, machines, and locations. I?m primarily running OS X.3 stations and laptops at my offices. They connect to regular OS 9 file sharing and ASIP 6.3 servers. Throughout the day they randomly disconnect from the server. I?ve tried to pin down a pattern and am unable to. Sometimes it can be very frequent. Sometimes it?s only twice a day. Messing with Energy Saver got me nowhere. Stations running OS 9 don?t experience this at all. I assume it?s a protocol problem of some sort, but have not been able to confirm this anywhere. I?ve heard of a few people having the same problem but have never heard any solid solutions.

Any info on this is MUCH appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MacOS X likes connecting to other MacOS X computers... especially MacOS X Server... there are some issues with disconnects when it comes to connecting to MacOS 9 shares (such as ASIP). you get nice messages in the log about the timeouts, but I never found any solutions. Since MacOS 9 has been officially "dead" at Apple for some time I would not expect any work to ever be done on these issues. Sad but true.

My recommendation would be to move the ASIP server to MacOS X Server, and appreciate all of the nice benefits from the new version. Server even has some nice scripts and lots of documentation on how to move user/group lists over intact.

Once you have moved you should see a nice jump in filesharing speed, assuming that the computer is fast enough for MacOS X and has enough memory. The difference will be most notable for MacOS X clients.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Lillymon,

I was having the same problem on one of my machines and we running OSX clients and connecting to an OSX Server. I ran extensive hardware tests and networking tests to see if the problem was an external or hardware issue. I even swapped the harddrive into a known good computer with no avail. I finally ran Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Speed Disk while booted into the Norton System Works 3.0 CD and that seems to have fixed the problem. As far as I can tell, there may have been some damaged system files that caused the problem and running Norton seemed to have fixed the problem.

Quote:

Originally posted by Lillymon

This is a problem I?ve had for some time on different systems, machines, and locations. I?m primarily running OS X.3 stations and laptops at my offices. They connect to regular OS 9 file sharing and ASIP 6.3 servers. Throughout the day they randomly disconnect from the server. I?ve tried to pin down a pattern and am unable to. Sometimes it can be very frequent. Sometimes it?s only twice a day. Messing with Energy Saver got me nowhere. Stations running OS 9 don?t experience this at all. I assume it?s a protocol problem of some sort, but have not been able to confirm this anywhere. I?ve heard of a few people having the same problem but have never heard any solid solutions.

Any info on this is MUCH appreciated.