Where to find notebook/iMac CDR's, Combo drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy one or two small CD/DVD drives. slot loading would be cool, but it's not necessary. To reiterate, these are the kind of small drives found in notebooks and the earlier breed of iMac.

It actually doesn't need to be mac compatible. For those curious, I'm building a renderbox out of generic x86 components, and I refuse to have it in a beige case, so I'm builing my own, custom case. (sort of Cube-like, but not really). Having a small CD/DVD drive that can operate vertically would be nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I'd love to know about that as well. Personally, I'm interested in hacking a slot-load DVD or Combo into my CD-ROM iBook/500.

Splinemodel: Try asking your question on MacNN's Mac Modification forum. Similar questions have gone unanswered in the past, but there are a whole lot of hardware hackers hanging out in Mac Mod.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    On a related note, has anyone come up with an after-party solution to get a CD-R (or better yet, a Combo Drive) into the slot-loading CRT iMacs (the fruit DV models, as well as the Ruby/Indigo/Sage and Flower Power and Blue Dalmation series?).

A buddy of mine has my old tangerine iMac and she was asking if there was a way to do this? I know a company came up with a retro-fit CD-R drive to fit the original tray-loading iMacs.

But I think a cool slot-loading Combo Drive that could be placed into my old Tangerine iMac would be awesome (and give it a bit more life and usability).

Just a simple, basic 16x burner would be fine. Like the ones currently shipping on some of the iStuff and the eMac.

Anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Splinemodel and pscates: Check out <a href="http://www.megamacs.com/"; target="_blank">MegaMacs</a>. They seem to have <a href="http://www.megamacs.com/v1/?cat=25051"; target="_blank">slot-load CD-RWs</a>, but not slot-load Combo drives.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Thanks for the info, Escher!

I wonder how they did that? Did they buy a bunch of Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs and pull the slot-loading CD-RW drives out of them?

Or were those drives something you could purchase from Apple (or whoever Apple got them from)?

Or, did some company just start making them, knowing that there are TONS of pre-Flower/Dalmation slot-loading iMac owners out there, looking for internal CD-RW drives?

In any case, cool to know. Thanks!

Still think it would be cool to see a Combo Drive to retrofit into the slot-loading iMacs.

My friend who has my tangerine bought it (for cheap) on one sole condition: when she outgrows it or is done with it, she HAS to sell it back to me...no ifs, ands or buts.

So I'll have my little tangerine jellybean back someday (probably within a year or so) and I'll just stick it in the bedroom, guest room or whatever and use it as a surfing/e-mail/iTunes/writing station, or for guests and visitors to use when they're over!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The cost on notebook CD drives is really high, and then tend to be slow. Anyway, I just realized that there's a Thinkpad I can cannabalize that has a 24x cdrom. That's free. I may see if I can clear out some more room in the case, and then buy a normal, 5.25 inch pioneer slot loading combo drive.

Thanks