iTunes 4.7 can't burn protected aac?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
my dad just updated to iTunes 4.7 on his G4, and he can't burn his iTunes purchases to cd. he used to be able to burn them before he updated, and now he can't. could it be 4.7???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

my dad just updated to iTunes 4.7 on his G4, and he can't burn his iTunes purchases to cd. he used to be able to burn them before he updated, and now he can't. could it be 4.7???

What he needs to do is play all of those songs (at least for a few seconds).

Sometimes after an update, the security settings for those protected files gets cleared. It's a way of making sure you legally should have them. Playing the song once lets it confirm that you are the legal owner and, after that, you can do what you like with them.

I usually just go into my Purchased Music folder, hit the Spacebar to start playing the first track and, after a couple seconds, hit the Right Arrow key. Let that track play a couple seconds, hit it again, etc. Repeat until you've gone through all the protected songs, and they'll all be ready to go!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

What he needs to do is play all of those songs (at least for a few seconds).

Sometimes after an update, the security settings for those protected files gets cleared. It's a way of making sure you legally should have them. Playing the song once lets it confirm that you are the legal owner and, after that, you can do what you like with them.

I usually just go into my Purchased Music folder, hit the Spacebar to start playing the first track and, after a couple seconds, hit the Right Arrow key. Let that track play a couple seconds, hit it again, etc. Repeat until you've gone through all the protected songs, and they'll all be ready to go!

That would suck if you'd purchased a few thousand songs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    alright, i'll check it out and let you know how it works out. thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    alright! it worked, thanks guys
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

That would suck if you'd purchased a few thousand songs.

Not actually, since it just needs to check to make sure the computer is authorized to play them, you only need to play one song to do that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Not actually, since it just needs to check to make sure the computer is authorized to play them, you only need to play one song to do that.

You don't even need to play them, just click on "Check for Purchased Music' this also authorises your music. Basically you need to access your iTunes account.