What about "iTheater" to replace QT Player?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've posted about this in the past, and wonder about it still. QT Player has been many years without much of an update. I wonder about a completely new application...say "iTheater" which is like the iTunes for video content.

It would be another piece of the iLife puzzle:

iTunes = Audio/music playing/management/purchasing.

iPhoto = Still image viewing/management/print and book purchasing.

iTheatre = Video viewing/management/purchase/etc.

Of course you have the content creation side as well:

iMovie

GarageBand

Perhaps iTheatre would take from the stuff they've established (UI-wise) with iTunes and iPhoto...instead of "playlists" and "albums" you'd have "channels" or some such thing.

Could be a vehicle for showing small bits of online video content like music videos, trailers, webcasts of keynotes, and perhaps establish a new medium for small, short video entertainment. For example, I was reading an article a couple months back about some companies that are beginning to produce short (5-15 minute) "shows" geared towards two things: 1. Video capable portable devices like phones and PDAs, and 2. The short attention span of the Gen-X-ers.

Eventually, this could evolve into longer content for sale like sitcoms (which are only 22 minutes anyway) and dramas. All of these are within the realm of accesibility for broadband customers. The model might be different from iTunes...not instant downloads for example...but a bit more like TiVO...hey I like these shows...get them for me...and they could be downloaded overnight...during the day (while you're away at work), etc. and available to watch later.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    as steve has said before, its all about figuring out what there's a market for. lots of people have digital cameras now, so they are building photo libraries and the ipod photo made sense. while video editing is easy, there still arent enough people building home movie libraries on their computers to justify an iTheater. Besides, the whole point of iLife (in terms of production) is to allow average users to take their songs, photos, and videos and combine them all into dvds that they can store and share. most people dont have the hard drive space to store all those home videos on their computer, so burning dvds is the best option.

my2cents
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

as steve has said before, its all about figuring out what there's a market for. lots of people have digital cameras now, so they are building photo libraries and the ipod photo made sense. while video editing is easy, there still arent enough people building home movie libraries on their computers to justify an iTheater. Besides, the whole point of iLife (in terms of production) is to allow average users to take their songs, photos, and videos and combine them all into dvds that they can store and share. most people dont have the hard drive space to store all those home videos on their computer, so burning dvds is the best option.

my2cents

The storage argument is okay...for now...but not for long...with HD capacities climbing...60GB iPod today and all...this argument will soon be wrong.

Also, while I think there will be some home-crafted video work, I think there can be a market for downloadable video content as well.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    We will all eventually have an iTheater-esque app. I think it's only a question of when.

Right now the userbase would be split between two extremely different groups. One group is comprised of video professionals and the other comprised of bittorrent pirates. Apple is more likely to address the needs of the video professionals given its business relationships with the recording and movie industries. Or at least... that's what there official line would have to be if iTheater were released soon.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

We will all eventually have an iTheater-esque app. I think it's only a question of when.

Right now the userbase would be split between two extremely different groups. One group is comprised of video professionals and the other comprised of bittorrent pirates. Apple is more likely to address the needs of the video professionals given its business relationships with the recording and movie industries. Or at least... that's what there official line would have to be if iTheater were released soon.

mmm... video professionals wouldn't be using an iApp to keep track of their videos... or least not the successful ones...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Has anyone taken iFlix for a test drive?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

mmm... video professionals wouldn't be using an iApp to keep track of their videos... or least not the successful ones...

Just like there's no pro photographers using iPhoto?

Or how about all those professional musicians and producers? None of them use iTunes?

As with any field, there are specialized and expensive tools available. This doesn't mean the pros forsake common/ simple tools just so they can feel more professional.

[Edit] Just realized I may have come across wrong. Not that pros choose these as their primary tools. But rather, iTheater would be useful to them even if rather rudimentary. Homes are built quickly with tools like nail guns. Yet hammers are still useful.[/Edit]
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Just like there's no pro photographers using iPhoto?

Or how about all those professional musicians and producers? None of them use iTunes?

As with any field, there are specialized and expensive tools available. This doesn't mean the pros forsake common/ simple tools just so they can feel more professional.

[Edit] Just realized I may have come across wrong. Not that pros choose these as their primary tools. But rather, iTheater would be useful to them even if rather rudimentary. Homes are built quickly with tools like nail guns. Yet hammers are still useful.[/Edit]

ya i see your point, but in the high-end pro world it just doesnt happen. for a relatively small local production house, an iTheater might hold some use, but when you start talking about Chiat Day and stuff there isnt a chance. Their stuff is catalogged in much better ways than inside an application. I think the main reason for this is because big production houses do things right (logging timecodes, etc) whereas DV users *typically* dont need to worry about that to the same extent. When a small company produces a video, they might have 5-10 DV tapes lying around. Big companies have 20-30 beta tapes lying around, and if they need a piece of stock footage, they would refer to their EDL's rather than an iApp. I hope this made sense. I mean this app could work for some consumers, but no companies I've been around (which is quite a few on a regular basis) would consider such a tool.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well sure, if you qualify it with 'high-end pro world' then iTheater wouldn't be popular.

The vast majority of video professionals aren't in this category. Most of them work for small companies, local broadcasters, syndicated production houses, or freelance on their own. What I guess I'm trying to get across is that there is still a content management issue in video production. While large corporations have custom apps for previewing and then obtaining footage from a media library, most users don't have this luxory. The market is ripe for such an app... most pro users have yet to find a truly satisfactory solution.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

What I guess I'm trying to get across is that there is still a content management issue in video production.

obviously i can only speak from my own experiences, but i haven't found one production company that had problems properly cataloging footage, files, and finished projects. on a personal level, maybe, but not corporate (or at least any company that deserves to stay in business).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I haven't tried it cause i'm cheap, but here:

iVideo