Original iMac G3 Questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Bondi blue iMac. It runs OS 9.2 and ASIP 6.1.x (for simple workgroup print services). I want to install an extra copy of Jaguar Server on the iMac (10.2.8). You ask why? I have no budget and I wanna get this iMac off OS 9! It's the last Mac of my 200 that runs OS 9.



2 Questions:



1) How much RAM can the original iMac hold, total? Will PC 100 SO-DIMMs work?



2) Will OS X Server (10.2) run on an original G3 iMac? It doesn't need to be beefy, just stable. It will ONLY run print services for a single network printer with little traffic. It will only run a few days per month.



Ideas?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    You should be able to put at least 512MB into your Bondi iMac (256 x 2). It uses PC100 SODIMMS (144 pin), however the RAM in the lower slot must be specified as "low-profile" or it won't fit.



    Double check the firmware requirements for OS X prior to installing. If you're already running OS 9, you may be up to date, but an install of X on an early iMac with the wrong firmware will cause nasty problems that are a challenge to fix.



    Sorry, I have no experience with the Server variety of X.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    2) I've seen 10.3 server on a 233mhz 128mb bondi iMac so 10.2 should not be a problem*



    * All things considered, (cpu speed, hdd speed etc)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Make sure you do the firmware or this could also happen to you.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=48713



    I looked at everymac.com and they say that you can have 384 of ram. They get their info from apple's listing.

    Crucial says that the Rev A has a 128 max.



    reg
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I've got one of those ... I had a 512 RAM DIMM in it at one point ... worked fine.



    While you're at it, I'd upgrade the HDD ... 4GB just doesn't cut it these days ... It's a pretty easy upgrade since you're gonna have it open to do the RAM anyway. And it accepts "normal" size drives (versus notebook drives).



    Otherwise, mine is now running Panther with only 192 MB RAM and it's as fast as OS9 was.



    And yes, I did have to do the firmware update several years ago, but that's also pretty straight-forward.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    This "Firmware update" is the most important issue to consider.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hmm... just sold that iMac G3 266 yesterday.



    $200 USD (with the 6GB HD re-installed !)



    I'd have never guessed it was worth that much !
  • Reply 7 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by dstranathan

    I have a Bondi blue iMac. It runs OS 9.2 and ASIP 6.1.x (for simple workgroup print services). I want to install an extra copy of Jaguar Server on the iMac (10.2.8). You ask why? I have no budget and I wanna get this iMac off OS 9! It's the last Mac of my 200 that runs OS 9.



    2 Questions:



    1) How much RAM can the original iMac hold, total? Will PC 100 SO-DIMMs work?



    2) Will OS X Server (10.2) run on an original G3 iMac? It doesn't need to be beefy, just stable. It will ONLY run print services for a single network printer with little traffic. It will only run a few days per month.



    Ideas?




    MAX is 256MB RAM but that depends on the the ram that is soldered to the iMac, you can only add 128MB to it. I've never tried OS X on my one but it should work ok. you need at least 128 mb to run 10.2 installer.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    MAX is 256MB RAM but that depends on the the ram that is soldered to the iMac, you can only add 128MB to it. I've never tried OS X on my one but it should work ok. you need at least 128 mb to run 10.2 installer.



    Not true .... that's how it was ADVERISED when it was new (because a 128MB chip was the biggest available in an SODIMM at the time) .... but as bigger chips became available, we discovered that the machine would "see" the 256 and 512 chips.

    Also, the second slot is harder to access, but not impossible... there is NO ram "soldered" to the board (except the VideoRAM, which was 4MB or 6MB in that machine)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    Not true .... that's how it was ADVERISED when it was new (because a 128MB chip was the biggest available in an SODIMM at the time) .... but as bigger chips became available, we discovered that the machine would "see" the 256 and 512 chips.

    Also, the second slot is harder to access, but not impossible... there is NO ram "soldered" to the board (except the VideoRAM, which was 4MB or 6MB in that machine)




    oh right, i was misinformed (by Apple no-less) when i upgraded my old bondi. Sorry for the confusion! So is the max 1GB then?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    oh right, i was misinformed (by Apple no-less) when i upgraded my old bondi. Sorry for the confusion! So is the max 1GB then?



    All I can tell you with any certainty, is that I have run my iMac G3, 266 mHz with a 512MB chip in the easy slot, and a 64 in the difficut slot for a total RAM of 576 MB. It worked, it recognized all the RAM. Apple didn't "lie", they just never "tested" it with that configuration, so they don't say that it's acceptable. (the chips just weren't available when the machine was designed.)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    All I can tell you with any certainty, is that I have run my iMac G3, 266 mHz with a 512MB chip in the easy slot, and a 64 in the difficut slot for a total RAM of 576 MB. It worked, it recognized all the RAM. Apple didn't "lie", they just never "tested" it with that configuration, so they don't say that it's acceptable. (the chips just weren't available when the machine was designed.)



    I never said they lied.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I run OS X 10.3 with 96MB and 233Mhz and well... it runs, and that#s all my mum wants, a small, easy to use PC.



    So yes, you should be fine with 10.2 server, but I´d use 10.3, because I heard about a performance boost... :3
Sign In or Register to comment.