Can some one help me with a menu bar problem?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently upgraded from a 15' Titanium PowerBook to a dual 2ghz G5. I used the new feature from apple, to transfer my system from the PowerBook to the new G5. Everything is working great no stability problems or anything. But I do have one small annoyance. The battery meter that I had in the menu bar of the PowerBook, is in the menu bar on the G5 and I can't find a way to get rid of it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chilleymac

    I recently upgraded from a 15' Titanium PowerBook to a dual 2ghz G5. I used the new feature from apple, to transfer my system from the PowerBook to the new G5. Everything is working great no stability problems or anything. But I do have one small annoyance. The battery meter that I had in the menu bar of the PowerBook, is in the menu bar on the G5 and I can't find a way to get rid of it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.



    other than going into your energy prefs and looking for an option to turn off displaying the battery meter, i dunno what to do. i'm on my pbook right now so i cant check to see if the g5 has that option (cause it'd be weird to show the battery level for a machine thats plugged in).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    regreg Posts: 832member
    System Preference / energy saver /

    Unclick the box on the lower part of the page for showing battery status in Menu bar.



    reg
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by reg

    System Preference / energy saver /

    Unclick the box on the lower part of the page for showing battery status in Menu bar.



    reg




    Control-Click on the menu bar icon and drag it off.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by reg

    System Preference / energy saver /

    Unclick the box on the lower part of the page for showing battery status in Menu bar.




    I wish before people offered answers like this they'd stop and think to themselves, "Gee. Maybe because it's a G5 desktop computer, which doesn't have a battery, maybe that option isn't there in System Preferences."



    Control-drag, however, as wmccurdy suggested, should work.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shetline

    I wish before people offered answers like this they'd stop and think to themselves, "Gee. Maybe because it's a G5 desktop computer, which doesn't have a battery, maybe that option isn't there in System Preferences."



    Control-drag, however, as wmccurdy suggested, should work.




    I wish before people offered answers like this they'd stop and think to themselves, "Gee. Maybe wmccurdy was incorrect and he should have said 'Command-drag menu bar icon and drag it off'..."



    Command-drag should work.



    --

    btw, the "Command key" is aka the "Apple key" or "clover leaf"....the keys (pick one) just adjacent to the spacebar.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    I wish before people offered answers like this they'd stop and think to themselves, "Gee. Maybe wmccurdy was incorrect and he should have said 'Command-drag menu bar icon and drag it off'..."



    Command-drag should work.



    --

    btw, the "Command key" is aka the "Apple key" or "clover leaf"....the keys (pick one) just adjacent to the spacebar.




    What does "clover leaf" suppose to mean?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Vox Barbara

    What does "clover leaf" suppose to mean?



  • Reply 8 of 17
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
  • Reply 9 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Command key

    cmd key

    Apple key

    cloverleaf (key)

    beanie key

    splat key

    infinite loop key

    pretzel key

    flower key

    butterfly key

    propeller key

    thingy

    "interesting feature" key (the shape is used on maps/buildings/plaques in Sweden/Europe to denote an interesting site)

    open-apple key (Apple II had a solid (closed) Apple key and an outline (open) Apple key)



    Or...the key on either side of the space bar!!!



    That shape, outside of computer lingo/historically is called the "cross of St. Hannes".
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Who knew? Or cared?



    One interesting tidbit:
    Quote:

    The feature key is the Mac's equivalent of an alt key (and

    so labelled on some Mac II keyboards).



    I didn't remember that. I remember the closed apple, but not the Alt...



    --B
  • Reply 11 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chilleymac

    I recently upgraded from a 15' Titanium PowerBook to a dual 2ghz G5. I used the new feature from apple, to transfer my system from the PowerBook to the new G5. Everything is working great no stability problems or anything. But I do have one small annoyance. The battery meter that I had in the menu bar of the PowerBook, is in the menu bar on the G5 and I can't find a way to get rid of it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.



    Ignore them all you need to press the alt button (or the road junction) then the carrot top (or the arrow) and then the squigly line? cough, BS



    WHAT"S going on wht can't people just answer the man's question without bitching. Command dragging works brilliantly for any menu item, if you want it back, or any other menu item in the menu bar:



    HD>System>Library>CoreServices>MenuExtras



    Now everybody, play nicely!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Ignore them all you need to press the alt button (or the road junction) then the carrot top (or the arrow) and then the squigly line? cough, BS



    WHAT"S going on wht can't people just answer the man's question without bitching. Command dragging works brilliantly for any menu item, if you want it back, or any other menu item in the menu bar:



    HD>System>Library>CoreServices>MenuExtras



    Now everybody, play nicely!




    Follow the thread more carefully and you'll see everyone is happy and no one is bitching, except for when shetline was a tad sarcastic and also ironically wrong - I only used that exact sarcasm to show that he too was wrong. I'm sure he's man enough do go "D'oh!" and shrug it off.



    Beyond that the pics are a nice answer albeit over the top and the "command" posts are just clarifying the name of the command key, which has a notorious history of confusion.



    We're all happy here, but thanks for the concern.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Alright, everyone...



    GROUP HUG!





    Awwwwwwwww....
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    We're all happy here, but thanks for the concern.



    True. I wasn't being snarky with the 1st poster. I was being snarky with Voxy.



    --B
  • Reply 15 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    Follow the thread more carefully and you'll see everyone is happy and no one is bitching, except for when shetline was a tad sarcastic and also ironically wrong - I only used that exact sarcasm to show that he too was wrong. I'm sure he's man enough do go "D'oh!" and shrug it off.



    Beyond that the pics are a nice answer albeit over the top and the "command" posts are just clarifying the name of the command key, which has a notorious history of confusion.



    We're all happy here, but thanks for the concern.




    the concern was actually sarcasm - you realised this right! I didn't really think bitching, it was just amusing that there were so many responses to this relatively straight-forward problem, i thought i should add some more!



    BTW in previous OS Xs the battery meter would not work in desktop computers, obviously somewhere along the line Apple have allowed it to work - why though!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's also used if you have a UPS (battery backup system) for your desktop. I have an APC Back-UPS 500, and as soon as I plugged in the USB cable, my old B/W G3 added a UPS panel to Energy Saver, and whaddaya know, it had an option for adding a menu bar item. Which looks almost exactly like the Battery menu bar item on my PowerBook. Smart Apple. A battery is a battery.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    It's also used if you have a UPS (battery backup system) for your desktop. I have an APC Back-UPS 500, and as soon as I plugged in the USB cable, my old B/W G3 added a UPS panel to Energy Saver, and whaddaya know, it had an option for adding a menu bar item. Which looks almost exactly like the Battery menu bar item on my PowerBook. Smart Apple. A battery is a battery.



    that is smart!
Sign In or Register to comment.