Root permissions being repaired daily. Why?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone have any idea why the permissions on my root directory are being repaired daily?

Here is sample from Macaroni's log:

=====

Repairing permissions on disk /

Started verify/repair permissions on disk *********

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

Permissions differ on ., should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x

Owner and group corrected on .

Permissions corrected on .

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

========

This never used to happen. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    This is a standard repair. It happens for everyone, and has happened for a long time......

Do not fret.

• Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

This is a standard repair. It happens for everyone, and has happened for a long time......

Do not fret.

Actually, I do fret because this portion:

Permissions differ on ., should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x

Owner and group corrected on .

Permissions corrected on .

never used to appear It has only started recently. I can't imagine why the root diectory permissions are getting out of whack every day.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I have been getting this permission repair since the very early days of Panther.

My guess is if you do a google search on "./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261" you will get a few hits.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    wtf is the deal with OS X where the permissions get screwed up every other day
  • Reply 5 of 9
    IIRC, in several previous revisions of OS X from 10.0.3 through 10.3.2(?) there were some permissions repair flags that were incorrectly set. The original file was fine and had no need for repair, but its flags reported that it did, and DU reported that it fixed the things that weren't really broken anyway.

There are technotes on Apple's support site noting this exact issue...

to the point that somebody's written an App specifically to fix the Disk Utility Permissions fixing issue. \

But rather than panic over minor reporting flaws, I'm inclined to be patient and see what Tiger brings.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I think most people replying are missing my point. I'm not concerned with anything but the root directory permissions (".") being repaired daily. This is what has never happened before, and I don't like the fact that something is messing with the permissions on that directory. I have no idea what it could be, but it concerns me.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    '/' is the root directory. '.' is the current directory, where ever it is, at least in the usual Unix parlance.

However, the /Systems/Library... path also has a period prepended. While I know I've seen that here too, it's a bit odd IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I'm sure you are correct, but when I look at the hidden files on my HD, a lot of what appear to be core functions start with the "." . That's what concerns me as normally these functions don't change on a daily basis.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, a period prepended to a filename in Unix is a directive to the shell to make it invisible when listing files. Using ls, for instance, you can give it the -a flag to show all files, at which point you will see those 'hidden' files. Without it, they won't be listed. The Finder also obeys these directives, and hides the files by default.

It's a way of keeping the user's filespace a bit cleaner looking during everyday use. It doesn't have anything to do with root.