15" Powerbook G4's hinges make a cracking sound...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know if anyone has had this problem with their powerbook or posted a simmilar message. When I open, close or adjust the angle of the screen my powerbook makes a cracking sound. I have taken my computer into an authorized apple service center 5 times because of this problem. They have adjusted the hinges, replaced the hinges, other various parts and the problem has not yet been solved. I just picked the computer up yesterday after having yet another part replaced/adjusted. When I opened the computer up it was better, but today it is making as much or more of a cracking sound. I just got off the phone with apple and they told me to take it back to the service center yet again. What else can be done? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can anybody help?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    This is something that can be fixed. I don't know why they are having a problem fixing yours. I have heard that it is a matter of properly lubricating the hinges.

I had them fix the white spots on my screen last January. At the same time they fixed the creaking noises in the hinges. It came back in beautiful shape. The hinge action was very smooth and quiet. It has become slightly stiffer with time but is still smooth and quiet.