iPod, iPod mini, iPod photo, iPod "whatever"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does Apple's recent branding (i.e., It's iPod + something) give us any indication of what Apple might be doing from a brand extension perspective.

Notice that these are all iPods (duh) with some qualifier on the end.

Now, though I have spoken against the likeliness of an iPhone (at least in the traditional sense of what a phone is now) in another thread...one cannot help but wonder about things like:

iPod phone

iPod video

iPod blah blah blah

Perhaps Apple is setup to make iPod the "backbone" of an entire family of so-called "digital lifestyle devices"...leveraging the popular brand into a variety of areas.

This modest theory of mine fits with a couple of pieces of information:

1. The thing is called "iPod"...it was never "iMusic" it "iPlay" or some such thing. This always struck me as a tad strange and, perhaps, more than a little forward looking of Apple.

2. They are already doing this...iPod photo is really the first obvious example (mini being only a charactarization of size/capacity of course).

3. I recall a posting a way long time ago in which the writer indicated some insider knowledge of Apple product plans and offered that Apple was trying to "ride the technological capability of iPod UP"...while, at the same time, "riding the minaturization curve of the iBook DOWN" until at some point they converged.

Thoughts?