Bluetooth compatability

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK ... I'm moving back to the states, so I'll be getting a new cellphone and service. So it's time for a Bluetooth phone.



Aside from the out-dated (and short) list at apple.com, how does one know if the phone will be BT-compatible with iSync ???



For instance, the Apple states that Moto phones will only sinc via USB, even though they are BT capable.



There are very few phones available now that are on the apple.com list... I guess I would have thought that any Bluetooth phone should work with iSync.... it is a standard isn't it ???

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    i believe that motorolas have a crippled version of bluetooth lacking many of the profiles and i guess some of them could be lacking the proper profile to sync properly.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    i should reiterate, the carrier often requests a crippled ver of bluetooth so you have to pay for themes, etc through them and motorola is compying more than others. im sure an unlocked motorola would be fine though.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Cam'ron

    i should reiterate, the carrier often requests a crippled ver of bluetooth so you have to pay for themes, etc through them and motorola is compying more than others. im sure an unlocked motorola would be fine though.



    Probably wrong. I have an unlocked import V525. I think the Motos either don't support the profiles needed to sync or iSync doesn't support whatever sync protocol Moto uses. At least that was the speculation when iSync 1.5 came out. You have to use the cable.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    So...



    Does anyone have any experience with LG phones and Bluetooth ?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    so, i guess i should have stuck w/ my first answer eh! haha, my boss speculated that it was prob the carrier because they tend to crippled other things, i know some will take off ring tones etc so you buy more from them. so motorola is the one crippling the bluetooth then. i hear that is going to be happening more so in the future, i hope sony ericsson doesnt cave in anytime soon.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    OK ... I'm moving back to the states, so I'll be getting a new cellphone and service. So it's time for a Bluetooth phone.



    Aside from the out-dated (and short) list at apple.com, how does one know if the phone will be BT-compatible with iSync ???



    For instance, the Apple states that Moto phones will only sinc via USB, even though they are BT capable.



    There are very few phones available now that are on the apple.com list... I guess I would have thought that any Bluetooth phone should work with iSync.... it is a standard isn't it ???




    I'm not sure that list is as outdated as you think it is. There was a phone that I was sure would work (Nokia 6620), but doesn't.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

    Originally posted by nguyenhm16

    Probably wrong. I have an unlocked import V525. I think the Motos either don't support the profiles needed to sync or iSync doesn't support whatever sync protocol Moto uses. At least that was the speculation when iSync 1.5 came out. You have to use the cable.



    iSync doesn't support the SyncML standard and Motorola phones don't have the IrMC Synchronization service (that iSync requires) on bluetooth.



    Apple has to implement SyncML (which I hope they do, as it's not just Motorola products which use this standard), or Motorola has to include IrMC Sync in the bluetooth profiles for their phones.



    Maybe the 10.4 iSync improvements will resolve this.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    OK ... I'm moving back to the states, so I'll be getting a new cellphone and service. So it's time for a Bluetooth phone.



    Aside from the out-dated (and short) list at apple.com, how does one know if the phone will be BT-compatible with iSync ???



    For instance, the Apple states that Moto phones will only sinc via USB, even though they are BT capable.



    There are very few phones available now that are on the apple.com list... I guess I would have thought that any Bluetooth phone should work with iSync.... it is a standard isn't it ???




    sony ericsson are brilliant phones and very easy to sync etc.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by audiopollution

    iSync doesn't support the SyncML standard and Motorola phones don't have the IrMC Synchronization service (that iSync requires) on bluetooth.



    Apple has to implement SyncML (which I hope they do, as it's not just Motorola products which use this standard), or Motorola has to include IrMC Sync in the bluetooth profiles for their phones.



    Maybe the 10.4 iSync improvements will resolve this.




    Huh? That's totally wrong. ISync uses SyncML - that's how it syncs.



    That's why some Nokia phones don't work that you expect to - they support SyncML but not SyncML over Bluetooth. (They only support SyncML over-the-air.)



    Amorya
Sign In or Register to comment.