Defragment on mac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok ive had a powerbook g4 for a while now and i am wondering wether there is a way to speed my powerbook up its going silly slow these days, could it have a virus or could it be full of crap from over a year of stuff on it. NEED HELP, how do i speed it up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Defragmenting is going on as you use it.

No, seriously - MacOS X auto-defragments files under 20MB on the fly as you use them. The market for useful defragging in MacOS X is limited to a small number of high-end professionals that need absolute tiptop performance from their disks.

One thing that I've found can help is trashing ~/Library/Caches... everything in there is deletable without harm, and sometimes it can speed up some apps, like Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    thanks a bloody bunch mate,

i just buggerd my computer, how about keeping your gob shut next time. ive had to totally reboot the git
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Wow, you're welcome.

What did you do wrong?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I personally recommend Maintain. Does semi-automated tasks using Terminal, all you need to do is select what you want to do from its menu and type in your password.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7380

And really, don't insult ppl who are trying to help you... It's ok to go "it didn't work" but when you start attacking the person that is trying to help you... makes you look like an ungrateful twit
  • Reply 5 of 17
    'Look like', nothing. Try 'proves'.

dkhazwhatever, you screwed something up, plain and simple. Perhaps you didn't quit applications that might be using the cache, perhaps you had little green goblins infest your hard drive.

In either case, having to reboot is hardly buggering your computer. Brother. Get some perspective also when you go to get some tact.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    yeah like whatever!

I did what the guy said and my computer screwed big time, im only blowing my fuse coz i got a uni hand in like right now, so i have a good reason to lose my rag, bloody americans!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    i do apologise, kahchkikookoo cant spell it, my apologise im very stressed please dont take it to heart mate

give me a virtual hug

i feel really cruel now sorry
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Generally I find that making a post that one finds personally embarrassing is easier fixed by editing that post. It's a useful tool.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    you cant see my face im not arsed,

if i did this in the real world i might

be like that any cheers for the help sorry about that dude
  • Reply 10 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkhazenirad

you cant see my face im not arsed,

if i did this in the real world i might

be like that any cheers for the help sorry about that dude

group hug everybody!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

group hug everybody!

any merry christmas and happy hannnukah merry eid elfat

• Reply 12 of 17
    You've got a 'uni hand in like right now' but you're reading and posting on an internet forum for ways to speed up your powerbook?

Deleting your old caches is a proven way to speed things up. Chill on the attitude and show some gratitude to the poster who tried to help you.

Good luck in life with your social skills.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dude its all patched up have a look.

we sorted it out i apologised to to the guy.

no problems here
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkhazenirad

dude its all patched up have a look.

we sorted it out i apologised to to the guy.

no problems here

you were rude and an ungrateful sod (but it's all forgiven - i think)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Guys, chill.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Guys, chill.

i'm chilled (i was joking earlier)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Although unless you regularly work with files over 2 GB, you normally don't need to defragment, it was pointed out in another forum someplace that a side effect of SuperDuper!, the disk cloning app, is that when it copies your files over to another HD, it defragments everything. Some users have reported a little "zippier" performance because of this.