Looking for *giant* backgrounds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So my Dad made the choice a little while ago to get an Applediculous thirty something inch cinema display. Oh my goodness, the thing is hands-down the most amazing screen I've ever seen. One problem though: we want to put up a wallpaper (something different than the defaults in system preferences) but we can't find any websites with beautiful nature scenes in that sort of crazy resolution. Has anyone found any sources for this yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Oh, to have your problems...

Browse www.macdesktops.com as they have some pics that are 2560x1600.

Google is your friend.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a picture of the entrance to Apple's building (including the 1 Infinite Loop sign) on my website at a resolution higher than the 30" Cinema Display. I was testing the display out at the Apple Store by browsing my website and looking at some of the cool pictures. Wow. If you are interested, I could post a link. Unfortunately, most of landscapes and beautiful mountain pictures are in the Boy Scout directory which is password protected.

Edit: Here is an image I stitched together. This was taken in Washington State near Lake Chelan. http://andrewhitchcock.org/images/mountainview.jpg
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks, guys! Now Dad's home desktop can have something snazzy on it. Adpowers, that huge picture that you posted is *gorgeous*. And thanks for recommending Google to me, opuscroakus. When I tried that looking for something last month, I came up with nothing, but your search was a little more fulfilling. And His Dudeness, that's definitely where I'm going to get all of my own wallpapers from now on Thanks again!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    NASA has some astounding images, they even have some Lossless HDTV images of the earth rotating (though due to filesize you have to email them first before you can download them).

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

That site has some excellent images of the earth up to 21,000 x 21,000 pixels in size. Make sure you scroll to the bottom, the one showing the lights of cities is beautiful. It's available up to 8,000 x 4000 pixels:

• Reply 6 of 7
    Check out webshots.com they might have wallpapers that size for

your desktop.

Matt
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Thanks, guys! Now Dad's home desktop can have something snazzy on it. Adpowers, that huge picture that you posted is *gorgeous*. And thanks for recommending Google to me, opuscroakus. When I tried that looking for something last month, I came up with nothing, but your search was a little more fulfilling. And His Dudeness, that's definitely where I'm going to get all of my own wallpapers from now on Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed it! They got some great pics on there.