Remote Printing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there,

(Posting this in the OS X forum rather than Hardware because it's more a software issue...)

I've been trying to get my PB12 to print for... well, a long long time. I have a Canon i850, and I've installed the Canon drivers. They work fine if I take the laptop downstairs and plug it directly into the printer via USB.

However, I usually have the printer connected to a network print server, and print via IP.

When I tell OS X to do that, it doesn't show the Canon drivers in the list of available drivers.

Yeah, I can get semi-OK printing using the built-in drivers, but I want to use specific functions of my printer (most notably borderless printing, and Canon's calibration for their own paper types, etc).

These drivers /are/ somewhere on my system - when I plug the USB in it finds them automatically. But I can't go down to the basement everytime I want to print! Also I don't want ot keep disconnecting and reconnecting the printer...

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I've found it doesn't use native drivers when printing to a printer shared via another Mac, but it does use them when printing to one shared from an Airport base station. Both are Apple sharing tech so there seems to be no logic to it!

Amorya