How to extend the life of a iBook battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking to have my iBook battery last me atleast 5 years. I wish to know what the best way to extend its life is. Most of the time I don't even need to use the battery. Is there no way to use the laptop at home pluged in without using the battery?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    5 years is about the outside life of a laptop battery. I'm seeing closer to 3-4 years before their useful time drops to about an hour or so.

Your best bet is to use the laptop off the power until you get battery warnings, then use it plugged in. Alternate like that as often as possible, and the battery should keep fresh as long as possible. Don't leave it plugged in overnight unless you're charging it up from empty.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I thought that the battery didn't charge if its charge was above 95%

So, doesn't this negate leaving the battery in while it is plugged in, because the battery isn't charging anyway?

The apple tech on campus told me to leave the battery out of the computer unless i was charging or using it. I tried this for a while, but kept forgetting that the battery wasn't htere an unplugging the machine.

Either way, i don't see how taking the battery out unless its charging can hut anything.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I would expect that the laptop would run with the battery out. Although I realized that my battery is already like one year old and is starting to show its age...lasts 3hours at most. So when I move I will just buy a new battery for it.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Your best bet is to use the laptop off the power until you get battery warnings, then use it plugged in.

Why would that be? TIA

- T. I.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

Why would that be? TIA

- T. I.

In my experience, and from what I've read, it seems that if you partly drain the battery and then charge it fully it reduces the battery's life. It's not like the old NiCad 'memory effect.' Rather, partial charges affect the battery's ability to calculate its own capacity, which affects its total lifespan.