new ibook 1.33/Combo makes sounds...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

i'am a newbie here and my english sucks... but i will try...

i bought an iBook 1.33GHz/Combo and i'am very very pleased...

but (<- i hate this word)... to save my battery i remove it while working with the powerplug plugged in... works fine... but in powersave modus (with the pulsing lamp) the harddrive gives me a sonoring, steady, very quiet sound (like from a lightbulb dimmed)... the same happens, when the battery is plugged and it is fully charged! In this situation, when i unplug the powerplug, the sound stops imideately...

the shop where i bought it told me (and gave me a sheet of paper of this), that this is normal... my old ibook G3/500MHz made no sounds at all...

i never shut down my ibook... use it everytime with powersafe... but then this sound is around... is this dangerous? For me, it is not normal...

what should i do?

is it - by the way - useful to put out the battery of the iBook? or can i leave the battery inside the ibook when it is fully charged and the powerplug is plugged in?

so many questions... thanks for your help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Sounds abnormal to me(?)

In sleep mode nothing is really 'on' and thus should not make noises at all.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    right!

it seems that the ibook gets to much "power" when the battery is fully charged or the battery is not inserted...

as i told you, the shop told me, that other new ibooks do the same thing...

hm...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    That noise is not your hard drive it is your power brick. It does it when it is asleep with no battery or with a battery that is charged.

Macaddict16