Superdrivish Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is really current "Apple" hardware but it still fits in. I'm going to buy a Dvd player or a dvd rw drive for my Power mac g4 because it only has 1 cdrw right now and i want more. I dont really want to buy apples player because its really expensive. If i were to buy say a Panasonic or a PC pioneer IDE internal player would it work plug in play on the mac using Mac os x? Any insight would be great! thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, but I think you have to be very careful with what model you buy. I'm looking to do the same as well... hopefully someone in here will know.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sorry i really need help on this so ------> bump
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Go to xlr8yourmac.com and have a look at the drive compatability database, it is very easy to use and will tell you which is the best option.

The Pioneer 103/104/105 are identical to the superdrives used in the macs.

[However, keep your eye on the Sony DRU 500A]

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: DaveLee ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    10.2.2 supports the new 4x Pioneer DVR-105. This is the only drive to buy. It is available in a retail box called DVR-A05U or RAW as DVR-105. The retail box is $299 list and the RAW drive list is $249. That's all you need for a Mac. But what's on the market right now was flown in because of the main first supply being still stuck on a boat in LA harbor. So the prices are a bit higher than or just below list. Fry's had some on the shelf last weekend for $299 but now they're $319. This is the drive that Apple will put in all their new Macs after MacWorld Expo SF 2003.