I deleted my /Library/Receipts. HELP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In a fit of complete stupidity I deleted the contents of the folder /Libary/Receipts to free up space.

I didn't realise it at the time, but this is an important folder.

I can't repair permissions any more.

I have learned my lesson. Knowledge Base article here suggests that I need to put back the basesystem.pkg receipt to correct the problem. Could someone please provide me with their copy of this file from /Library/Receipts from a working 10.3 installation.

thanks

Adamr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Don't worry. I found what I needed at http://www.machome.com/issue/basesystem.lasso
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Whoa! this is creepy. I was just doing some maintenance with OnyX and read the help file because I was bored. I learned the same thing just a few minutes ago. Although OnyX seems to suggest you need more than just that one file.

Quote:

Problem: Unable to Repair Disk Permissions?

In most cases, this is caused by the absence of certain package files in the /Library/Receipts folder. These files contain the information needed by Disk Utility and OnyX to repair disk permissions. Fortunately, the solution is simple. Insert the Panther (OS X 10.3) Install Disc 1 and double-click on the CD icon to open its root directory. Open the /System/Installation/Packages folder and copy the BaseSystem.pkg, AdditionalApplications.pkg, AdditionalFonts.pkg (if installed), any applicable packages which end in 'PrinterDrivers.pkg' and any applicable language packages to your /Library/Receipts folder.

This will allow Disk Utility's 'Repair Disk Permissions' to function again. Alternatively, you may be able to copy these files from another computer running Mac OS X 10.3.x.

• Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks

I don't have another Mac, but when I get a moment I will install 10.3 on an external drive and copy those packages across too.

I don't want to copy from the install discs because that will copy the whole package. I believe that the receipts folder only contains a portion of the original package.

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamr

In a fit of complete stupidity I deleted the contents of the folder /Libary/Receipts to free up space.

I didn't realise it at the time, but this is an important folder.

I can't repair permissions any more.

I have learned my lesson. Knowledge Base article here suggests that I need to put back the basesystem.pkg receipt to correct the problem. Could someone please provide me with their copy of this file from /Library/Receipts from a working 10.3 installation.

thanks

Adamr

Well i did the very same stupidity a couple of months ago. The solution was:

Repairing permissions from the installer CD, that easy.